Crack repair?

-
Back in the day, my friends would suggesting going out to find some "crack", and I don't mean drugs either. It must have been something desirable at one time.
Isn't it amazing how fast a thread can deteriorate?
LOL

This may seem like a silly question to the veteran engine guys here but, it is plausible to think that a hairline crack in a head can be repaired? If so, any suggestions?
I had acquired a set of 'J' heads from a 340 (casting #3418915) from my local mechanic back in Canada for a small amount of money. I had them taken apart at another shop and put in the hot tank to clean them up. They were pronounced healthy but the engine builder in VA declined to use them because of the issue below:

View attachment 1715125115
Is it still 1.88 Intake? .I would 2.02 with a good hard seat ,let a GOOD MACHINIST ..with a three way cutter ,set the tone.
Is this worth trying to save or is it just a boat anchor now?
Read above...

Because a bowl cutter ,just might remove the seat crack ,entire. Then you do a .003 -005 oversized hard seat ,for a safe interference fit. My cylinder headguy has used " Fluid weld " to stop all small leaks,under compression. Those,reverse taper pins , only goes so far ...

Because a bowl cutter ,just might remove the seat crack ,entire. Then you do a .003 -005 oversized hard seat ,for a safe interference fit. My cylinder headguy has used " Fluid weld " to stop all small leaks,under compression. Those,reverse taper pins , only goes so far ...
Repairs the crack through the spark plug hole?

Good one j. I wouldn't and neither would you I bet.
Yeah getting one over on somebody like that doesn't do it for me. I actually like this thread a lot more when we were talking about snowmobiles and quite honestly it was a lot more fun than talking about taking someone for a ride.

-
Back