Cragar Lug Nut Help

-

matthon

Reaction score
Old school Cragars, 15x6, 5 on 4.5.
I have an old lug nut to use as a test, wrong thread size, but dimensions are close.

I think I found the correct new lug nut, though a bit longer might be good.
Pics of back of wheel show the old nut with and without washer. My old nut, lol, is a bit shorter than the new ones.

What appears to be way off is the washer size.
New washer 1.25" vs mine which is 1.082".
Mine fits perfectly into the old paint mark with little room to spare at the center of the wheel.

It doesn't look like the washer will fit, and one review stated they had to grind each washer to fit 5x4.5 wheels.
Does that mean I have to get the lugs with the offset washers, even though I have direct drill?

The old nut/washer is off my 5x4 Cragars and it fits fine on those, why the giant 1.25 washer?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

20220308_224014.jpg

20220308_223421.jpg

20220308_223406.jpg

20220308_224052.jpg

20220308_224035.jpg

20220308_224114.jpg

20220308_223630.jpg

20220302_151752.jpg

Frankly with all the nonsense about problems with wheels and lugs, it might be easier at this point to "find a neighbor with a lathe" and take a little bit off the end.

The pictured washer looks like it can't be 1.25".
I'll look into those, but whether or not the washer in the summit pic looks correct is debatable.

So in the last 10 hours summit went from having north of 10 sets of 4 in stock, to only 7.
1 pack short if using locks, which I haven't even looked for what ones out of stock will fit.

I need enough for 8 wheels, so I ordered all 7 sets of 4.
At this point, it's easier to buy/return than wait and have no options.

I read some reviews on using the offset washer on wheels like mine, not a unilug but limited space between the lug and center of wheel.

They commented that when removing the nuts the washer would dig into the side of the rim, and because the washer is concave to act like a lock washer, it sticks to the nut, because it's not off of it yet, preventing removal of the lug nuts.

Great. Looks like it's make your own washer, but you can't because that would be offset, but you need the concave washer so it locks the nut on, but it's too big, so you have to grind one side down, but then it's offset and not fully concave, blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Lug nuts are perfect.
Washers not so much.
Too big, but we knew that.
The washers are concave, so I guess I would have to shave extra off one side as they will spread out as they're torqued.

I would order some of the McGard, but the lugs are a bit shorter, will try to find just washers.

Were the old school washers concave?

20220311_184246.jpg

20220311_183956.jpg

20220311_183912.jpg

So, Jegs included the washer specs that come with the lug nuts, so I ended up buying all the McGard lug nuts/washers available, plus 2 packs of 10 McGard washers that are the same size and will fit the Cragar lug nuts I just bought that came with the giant 1.25 washers.

I think I'll end up with one extra pack, which is fine as there are no more available in that size and 2 of the bags of Cragar nuts were returns, but the threads are ok.

Imo, Cragar decided to create a fancy new lock washer, because anyone who has owned mags knows the lug nuts suck and you should always check and make sure they are still tight, but during their engineering of new fancy washers forgot to make sure they fit 5 on 4.5 Cragars.

I have a bag or two of Cragar sbp nuts/washers from years ago, that I need now, with regular washers that fit correctly.

Rant over.

If they fit, I think you'll be happy with the McGards. The texture and finish on the Cragar lug nuts is pretty crude, whereas the McGards is much nicer. Some McGards are still made here in New York State. The last three different Cragar products I've purchased were Chinese imports.

When I receive the McGards, if they're better than the Cragars, I'll see if any more are available, and if so, return the Cragars.

McGard (left) vs Cragar (right).

McGard threads look crisper, as does the outside.
I wish the McGard had a taller lug part for a socket, but it doesn't seam to matter.

Cragar nut is a bit longer with the tapered end, and the lug part is taller.
Cragar has imperfections all around top edge.
The Cragar looks cheaper.

I have an older set of Cragar lug nuts for sbp and the threads, washer, and finish, look more like the McGard.

I think I might return all the Cragar lug nuts.

20220318_225144.jpg

20220318_225129.jpg

20220318_225107.jpg

20220318_225041.jpg

20220318_225023.jpg

A little shorter is OK. I worry about the nut bottoming on the hub before it has fully clamped the wheel. In the past, I've measured the lugs, the nuts and the wheel, and replaced the lugs to get the optimal length and most thread engagement I can.
Are the washers small enough?

Yes, McGard washers fit and are the same size as the marks left by the original washers.
They are long enough to engage the minimum amount of threads, plus some, which iirc in the instructions was the width of the stud.

-
Back