Cragar SS wheels need constant retightening?

-

Dartncharger

Reaction score
Anyone else had any issues with this? Seems like any time I take' er out the lugs tend to loosen up ever so slowly.
Took the two fronts off for a balance today and was downright shocked at how loose most of those lugs are.

Had a similar problem with the aluminum slots on my 66 , the lugs were a little to long and bottoming out on the drum.I ground off a little bit of the end of the lug nut to correct it. Just my .02 :read2:

I'm running SS's all around and check them now and then, never found 1 loose. How much ya torquing them to and are you lubeing the threads.

Mine never come loose.
Are yours uni-lug?
In my experience they suck, had one uni-lug rim sheer off 4 of 5 studs and left me stranded.

Chances they are uni-lug. Very few originals out there yet. If the uni-lug washers and lug nits are correct (length, pilot diameter, and shape) they shouldn't loosen up. (if properly torqued)

The uni-lug type I had trouble with front lugs bottoming out. Shorten lug just a bit or switch to a spacer on the front and they will be ok. I think I used 1/8 inch spacer. Now they don't losen anymore.

They are SBP's not Unis.
As far as how much torque? Good question, I'd say as much as I'd give a standard wheel/lug if that's any answer.

Good point about lubeing the threads, pretty sure I did just to get them to spin on (minor surface rust) might that be an/the issue?

They are SBP's not Unis.
As far as how much torque? Good question, I'd say as much as I'd give a standard wheel/lug if that's any answer.

Good point about lubeing the threads, pretty sure I did just to get them to spin on (minor surface rust) might that be an/the issue?

Put them on dry and torque them (with a torque wrench) to 75 ft/lbs.

Took off the wheels and went to Firestone to get 'em balanced as there's a minor shudder to the front end.
I bring them back, cleaned off the lugs and lugnuts and slap one on. (These Cragars are a PITA as it took me a good 15 min to line up the lugs) that said after I get wheel #1 all lined up and tightened down, I see the dipstick at Firebone put the wheel weights on the outside of the rim as well as inside on both of them.
&*%$
Got a feeling these Cragars will be gone next year and back to (SBP)Mopar Rally wheels. They don't look as good as the Cragars but seem to be a LOT less hassle.

I had some that bottomed out, ended up using 2 washers on those

I torqued to 70 ft lbs and have had not problem

If you are looking to sell them I know someone wanting to buy a set

I'd sell them but need to get a set of the rallys first. Since it's so late in the season I might just wait until next year.

Being these are sbp cragars, I'm assuming you've still got the 7/16 lug nuts too. I've had bad luck on Dad's 69 lately with snapping the nuts. Busted 5 or 6 in the last year. Maybe we got a batch of duds, but I haven't been able to torque them any higher than 65 ft-lbs without them snappin. And YES they are a PITA to line up! LOL!

-
Back