Cragars rub!!! Help

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
I bought 4 sbp Cragars from a member here...took the car to the tire shop, the rears fit fine but the fronts rub bad on bottom frt of frt fenders...so bad, we took off the tires and the guy loaned me a set of new tires and put them back on the stock wheels to get the car home... The wheels on frt are 14x6 with 215 R 70 BF Goodrich tires.....14x7 with same tires on the back......Tire guy says tires are too wide and too tall.....said i should try 215 R 60....Opinions??? i dont know what the backspacing on the Cragars are.....here's a couple of pics... its a 65 dodge dart gt vert
thanks, John

Attachments

• a.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 361
  • b.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 378
  • c.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 382
  • d.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 361
So, let me get this straight....the tires rub, not the Cragar mags? Those tires he suggested sound like a good choice, they will be lower for sure and look great

What a bummer! Would cranking up the torsion bars some get you any extra clearance? I have zero early A body experience, so that's all I can think of to help that doesn't cost anything.

So, let me get this straight....the tires rub, not the Cragar mags? Those tires he suggested sound like a good choice, they will be lower for sure and look great

Yes the tires mounted on the cragars rub the frt lower fenders when you try to turn the wheel....bad.......put the stk wheels back on and its fine....whatcha think???

Looks like if you go with the 60 series tires you'll have a huge gap, but your rubbing will go away.

My experience is mostly with mustangs, but this may help.
1. Can you roll your fender lips?
2. Skinnier tire...say 205/70/14?
3. Any extra material on the inside hub of the wheel? Maybe a good wheel shop could grind a little and get you a bit more backspacing?

Try a 185 or 195 65.
The tire shop should be able to figure out what fits, and what will not.

Yes the tires mounted on the cragars rub the frt lower fenders when you try to turn the wheel....bad.......put the stk wheels back on and its fine....whatcha think???

Well, your thread title says that the "Cragars" are rubbing, but they are not, its the tires so I was a little confused at first I guess. I would measure the back spacing and if the rim looks good then get a smaller/shorter tire, that 215/70R14 is too big for your car.

the wheel looks way far forward in the wheel well.

I thought so too unless the wheel is turned a little....but it could be how the front fender curves under, those early Darts had fenders that tucked up under the bumper.

Well, your thread title says that the "Cragars" are rubbing, but they are not, its the tires so I was a little confused at first I guess. I would measure the back spacing and if the rim looks good then get a smaller/shorter tire, that 215/70R14 is too big for your car.

sorry about that Sedan........long day already.......cragars bolt up fine....tires rubbing at the frt bottom of fender......ugh...................

why would the tires be so close to the fender in the frt...car has never been hit according to body guy and he's a mopar guru.....frustrated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have
14x 6 with 205/70/14 on the front
14x 7 with 245/60/14 on the back
No problems

Attachments

• aidenMopars 009.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 337
What size tire did the guy loan to you? What size are the steelies?
C

i think your strut rod bushings are shot and its pulled the front suspension forward. either that or your upper control has moved. if you look at other cars the front wheel is centered in the wheel opening. yours looks like its about 1-2" forward.

I thought so too unless the wheel is turned a little....but it could be how the front fender curves under, those early Darts had fenders that tucked up under the bumper.

looks like the wheel is straight ahead. look at the big gap behind the tire...... something isnt right.

..should I replace frt end with like a pst kit????

Not unless you wanna go broke! PST is nice stuff but you could do a nice OEM quality rebuild way cheaper with parts from Rock Auto etc..and convert to BBP with some front discs if your so inclined....1st off though have a reputable guy or alignment shop inspect your front end completely and see what's worn and what's not. You may not be needing a complete rebuild!

Sorry, not to hijack the thead but I love the way that car looks !! Great example of a rim and tire selection.
thks cragars work well on these early As, specially on a black car. John if that's you vision, get it done. They look great.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0247.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 287
Did the car drive ok before the wheel swap, or was it a-little loose?

Did the car drive ok before the wheel swap, or was it a-little loose?

it drove ok,...steering had a little play in it...figured it was just gear box...no vibration...however.. i bought the tires and had them put on the steel wheels ...then i bought the cragars last week....i'm just confused as to which direction to go.....I want the cragars on the car.... but i agree with younguns that something does not look correct....so how do i go about correcting this issue????:wack:

I would say even with a rebuilt suspension a 215/70-14 is going to hit the fender on those years. A 215/60 might be the ticket but you might even need a 205. It will also depend on how much backspace the wheels have. A 215/60 might clear on a wheel with low backspace but hit on a wheel with high backspace.

-
Back