Craigslist 440. Whats it worth?

-

woody_3

Reaction score
Hey guys ive got a 71 /6 demon in the shed. Not ready to tear into it yet, but i came across this 440. Whats a 440 worth? I feel like this is a little high for knowing the tranny slips and not knowing what the engine is like. Thoughts?
Chrysler 440/727

I paid $1k for mine recently in similar condition. Motor spun over but I make no assumptions on condition. I should've pulled intake and pan but didn't.
I'd say it's worth $600 but I would NOT assume it's ready to rock.

I would assume it's needing full rebuild.

It is worth whatever someone will pay for it. I probably wouldn't pay $600 for it but that doesn't mean it is a bad price. I'd take it at anything under $500 but only if it rotates. I wouldn't pay anything for a locked up 1974 440.

I'd say it's worth $600 but I would NOT assume it's ready to rock.

Agree, that's about what I see them listed for around here, and that's just the engine.

I went to look at a 440 a few years back, it was sitting outside. I asked how long it had been sitting there, the guy said 10 years and uncovered at that.

He wanted 1000.00 for it. I bet he could hear me laughing a mile down the road.

Thats about the going rate down here in Tampa area, he says 600 OBO Id go over there with 4oo cash and you would prob. make his day.

There are some guys asking grand but Im sure they never get sold cause the listing is always going back up

Looking at the pics in the ad, can't be a points distributor as the seller mentions (unless he swapped it out). There is an electronic ignition box on the firewall. That and it's a 74. $600 for the motor and transfer seems fair, but I'd go flash him 4 bills as well.

Few years ago, I sold a complete unmolested 71 440 out of an Imperial for a grand. Couple of months ago I gave $500 for a complete 68 Chrysler 300, pulled the motor and trans and my buddy wanted the body, so gave me what I paid for it. In the end, I got my 440/727 for nothing more than delivering the bulk 2 miles away.

It's a steel crank motor if it;s a 74. Yeah it's probably worth 600.

It's a steel crank motor if it;s a 74. Yeah it's probably worth 600.
I gave $500 for my 67 440 and trans, still bolted together. was running when pulled, no matter, if your going to rebuild it and it turns over nicely. I have found 3-4 lately for 400 to 500, but not went to look at them. those guys wanting $1000-$1200 for a 44o engine that needs rebuilt are setting on them, they keep reposting on here !

The main reason I paid what I did for mine was because it was complete, No hunting up pulleys or random crap, it has the carb and other crap I'll sell, and it's still bolted to it's factory transmission.

If the OP's piece in question is actually points, it'd be ready and easy to fire up on the ground and see if it runs well.

Wow, that's amazing how much different prices can be from different areas. I am picking up a 440 block, with several parts that has been tanked and magged for $75. I see alot of complete 440's going from $150 to up as high as $650 or so. The higher priced ones are on for months being relisted several times. I know there is a '67 383 with 727 transmission out of like a fury or coronet I can't remember which but the have been listing it for over a year off and on for like $350 once then $500 the next, then down again (not sure of why) but it's the same ad otherwise and it never sells. I remember seeing the ad the first time when I bought the compete 400 for $250 for our duster over a year ago and it came complete with trans. I bought a complete '70 383 for $50 a few months ago, and $150 for the trans with it.

-
Back