Craigslist=Flakelist??

-

jeeper

Reaction score
For a few years I have sold car parts to support my projects at work. The kids and I have built quite a few 4x4's over the years.

Traditionally I have sold on internet bulletin boards and have had basically zero bad experiences on both ends. For awhile it was even fun....

A couple of years ago when the economy was better I discovered Craigslist. It worked really well for bigger items and things rolled along fairly well. I have never made any real money at all. Primarily gas money and a couple of bucks for what ever used car parts I needed.

Lately however things have definately changed on the Craigslist end.

Lots of non-returned emails, pulled parts that no one came for. An extreme amount of flakiness.....

The best one was an engine in a Jeep.

It was a hard to find engine. Guy wants it for his car. I told him it ran well and that was about it. No promises regarding engine vitals etc. He didn't ask a whole lot of questions either. I was looking at it as a very good core.

We agreed to a price in mid-May. We spent all summer playing phone tag etc. He lives only 2 hours away and I am home pretty much all day everyday. Finally almost three months later he shows up. Starts it and does not say much. It runs well, idles decently etc. He says that he wants to do a compression check. No problem. I start pulling parts and basically make the truck non-driveable while he is doing his thing on top.

He pulls his tools and then walks to his truck. I ask him what he's doing. He says, "I think I'll pass".

What? I could have done a compression check months ago. I guess he wanted a completely rebuilt engine for the price of a core, which is what I was asking.

I guess the lesson is this: Don't hold items. I know this makes me look like an idiot. Maybe you can learn something from my experience.

Anyone else have any good Craigslist stories? I know I can't be alone:cheers:

I've been really lucky. I bought both my Duster and a pair of no rust no dent fenders for the same with no problems. I even found my new rental home through CL.

It isn't a bad place to shop at all. It has been a pretty good experience on that end.

I met my main mopar buddy on there. He is a member here.

Selling though.........

i get a lot of dreamers from craigslist. also, seems like nobody has the time to read anymore. they always ask questions that are answered in the ad. i list items on there thinking it will sell locally to avoid shipping, yet people from all over inquire about shipping. at leat its free to list stuff.

It isn't a bad place to shop at all. It has been a pretty good experience on that end.

I met my main mopar buddy on there. He is a member here.

Selling though.........

Lol! I haven't yet had the pleasure of dealing with a tire kicker. That engine selling experience must've been zero fun.

Because I am on the computer alot during the summer I always use the email function.

Anytime I use the phone number it gets worse with people asking the same questions that I mentioned in the ad. Now I have used up more time and phone minutes for nothing.

I think the root of my issue is this: If you say you will call back, then do so. If you are coming on Tuesday, then do so.

ROB

I second that,people ask for something you agree to a price,pull the part then box it carry it to the post office for a quote bring it home e mail the person back then nothing.now I have to tell them to paypal me for the part then I go pull it and all that goes with it and then they paypal me the shipping costs and I send it,happy buyer, happy seller!

....for some of the regulars that are of the provin type i'll send the part out right away with no payment and they in turn drop the funds in the mail if there is any charge at all. If you don't know em....you just got to use the old gut feeling. I like to talk to em over the phone. It helps to have contacts in every town in the United States as i do. Some people that want parts just don't have any money so we'll label them tire kickers.

Hey Guy's I'm sorry that you have had problems with craig's list...I myself have been lucky when I've made a deal....As for being a tire kicker...I try not to b as it's not cool But some of us that are into the hobby have a limited income,such as myself..I get S.S.I. and after bills I have less to work with!!!!But You will find out if you deal with me after you give me a price...I'll do my damdest to make the deal happen and everyone will be happy...I pay in postal m.o.'s or bank m.o.'s to make sure there are no fee's taken out of the recievers pay like with pay-pal...If you check my e-bay positive's you'll find 191++ buyings with no complaints...you can look them up under mrmopar1966...all I ask for is to be treated like everyone else and given a fair chance to be part of this mopar site...This is one of the best sites I belong to....I'm not a tire kicker just a guy with limited income that LOVE'S HIS MOPARS AND THIS SITE THANKS FOR LISTENING.......mrmopar1966

I guess you live and learn. With a forum like this, you can find someone who knows someone kinda deal if you have issues with not getting paid or something.

With C. list you don't always have that option. So it is easier to be rude I guess when you are just a name in cyberspace.

However, it does look like I just sold some more unneeded parts, so it does work.

I just need to be careful and thicken the skin some.

ROB

Got my Twister a couple of years ago on CL!
The car I'd been wanting for years only a couple of miles from my house!

Like anything else there is good and bad. About a month ago, I made plans to meet a guy on Sunday to see the 95 Ram he had for sale. He told me I could come between 1 and 2.

I drove into his subdivison at 12:57. I called him to find which house and he said, "I may not be able to do it today. My wife told me I have to spend the afternoon wiht my kids." WTF!!!

I had driven about 60 miles ot see this truck. His ad actually said, "I dont play games."

He proceeded to tell me how he "might" be able to show the truck around 4. Keep in mind I am 60 miles form home. What am I supposed to do for three hours while this jerk is at the movies?

This son of a ***** was still talking when I just hung up on him. When I make plans, they are set. My wife doesnt change them. If they get changed I CALL the other person.

That being said, I have made some good buys on craigslist such as a complete rebuilt big bolt front end complete with new bearings, rotors, pads, sway bar, etc all for 350 bucks!

As far as craigslist, I've bought/sold any of a wide variety of things that way all over the country. I travel a lot for work, so it's a great way to find things when you're away from home. I bought my 68 Dart on there anticipating a trip to Portland. I've bought car parts, motorcycles, furniture, electronics, sporting goods...and sold a good bit of the same. You'll find a percentage of the population to be flakes anywhere. Anyone ever read the Best of craigslist? Now that's where the real freakshow is.

Craiglist is great if you work it like it should be done. Cash only, customer picks up part. If you have to pull something have the customer come look and make his decision and give you half down for you time to pull.... the other half when he picks up the part. Basically that is the way I have survived on craigs list for a long time. I dont hold a part for anyone unless I have money in hand and a guarantee they will pick up part within 1 week or else I keep the money and the part. I have them sign a slip and never have had any problems. Biggest thing is CYB > Cover your Butt <

-RPM

I too have bought and sold many things on CL over the last two years. Flakes just come with the territory. I don't use my phone # til someone is serious and wants to talk about location and payment. In fact, I use a yahoo email for replies.

I have a really clean 75 Malibu on CL right now for $2000, and I have heard every story conceivable. One guy kept insisting that he "had to have the car", then never showed up to look at it.

Like somebody else already said, the world is full of flakes and a lot of them hang out on CL. Good luck!

Oh yeah, here is another story I forgot to mention that will make you cringe. There was a 1968 A-Body 4 speed on craigslist about 2-3 weeks ago on CL. Needless to say I saw the ad about 4 hours after it was posted and when I called someone else had already picked it up. Brace yourself... $150.00 complete from the bell housing aft. OUCH! #-o

I agree with what you folks are saying. I think I need to do a better job of covering my backside as RPM says.

I truly live too rural to be doing what I am doing. I literally do not have a physical address....yes that rural.

I think if I was closer to a larger city, it could work pretty well if you used your head.

I will say that with the hassles, it has been a way to make money legally on the side.

I am intending to move onto firewood cutting or some other business on the side because:

1. Everyone needs it around here
2. No one comes to get it (I keep my privacy) and I deliver
3. Local people only
4. If it does not sell, I will use it myself
5. I live in the midst of a giant sea of firewood. Lots of it...

If I was really smart, I would not work extra on the side at home and just do few extra's at my job.

But then, no one ever accused me of thinking with my head on those issues. I like the entreprenural spirit. Fun as a hobby.

As a positive aside, CL did help me to sell a fairly decent IH Scout that I have been trying to sell for months. Cash, he backed up and towed it off in about 20 minutes.

Not all bad.

Thanks for listening, ROB

i have bought and sold all kinds off stuff on there.

Id say its a 90% flake buyer

30% flake seller ratio

-
Back