Craigslist rage.

-

Asktoro

Reaction score
"oh if i fixed it up it'd worth 4x its price, my loss your gain!"

"super super very rare not meny left! 5,000!" (stripped shell with parts in trunk rotting to the core)

Then you got people... who watch too much barret jackson trying to get 20k-30k for their car in this kind of economy when there's nothing rare about it -- but it's just 'nice' the interior, paint and other parts probably arent original anymore.

:violent2: Going insane.

oh totally! worth bazillions and bazillions and we should thank the folks living in double wides for blessing us with the chance of buying a 1976 dart missing nearly everything for 10,000 cause, you know.... we could totally triple our money and make 30,000 once it's done....... After spending nearly 40,0000! Thats like...... like....... 60,0000 profit you know!

How about you folks share your stupid stories so I can laugh a little instead of feel like im gonna have an aneurysm from wanting to strangulate them homer style.

I've been on craigslist all morning scanning for a car to trade my boat for... came across **** like

http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/2456041319.html 73 hillbilly special

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2479074581.html 72 duster, delusions of grandeur

Here's another one http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/2477687300.html while the guy isn't bsing that its somewhat a hard to find car, he needs to realize it'd cost twice its sale value to fix up, atop that... the "oh heres two fixer uper cars that need tons of time, money and stuff in em for something decent i gib u 1 cent you gib me 2 cents! good trade huh red man!?"

The first one looks like it is almost ready for paint......:pukerigh: with a roller that is....

$3,000.00 don't look like it would be to bad for that second duster actually if everything checked out good.

and how the guys says he "thinks $3,000.00 is a fair price" doesnt sound very firm so i would imagine he could be talked down to $2500.00.....its got a 6 pak hood on it which is a good chunk of that price right there in itself.

I have scene my share of stupid craigslist ads....there is no short of them that is for sure lol.

I just laugh and click to the next.

I think they have been watching " WEEDS " too much. That Portland Duster had the guage faces mask off and everything sprayed white, however some of the interior looked OK. I'd give the Montana Guy $100.00 over scrap weight. Can you imagine what the subframe looks like and I didn't see bumpers.

It's not a bad buy, I just don't trust a single word that kid says. Often people try to trade/sell their problems instead of fixing them and clearly this kid admitted to that attitude. I'm betting there's a lot more problems than he mentions or even knows how to recognize. I noticed the front fender is dented/crumpled, grills missing as he states, if it did get clipped by another car, since it's an unibody it could throw off the whole front end's steering geometry, the interior looks clean, but you can tell its stained/worn out if you look close enough. I'd give him 1,000-2,000 depending on how the engine actually ran.....

Not all that big a deal... really my problem is i dont got cash, i got a boat..... and need to find something within the value of 7,000-12,000 to trade it for. Currently have it for sale at 10 grand.... thinking of dropping it to rock bottom... 7,000 and see what happens..... id like to get rid of it before winter hits.

The Oregon one has been on CL for awhile, I think it was in Seattle last year or something. I have definately seen it on there over the past few years once or twice.

I just did a cursory search in Montana for Dusters.........yikes.

Pretty grim out there. What was up with the yellow Duster????

ya know i could give you tons of clist ads that are funny, the most funny is this guy who had a 73 dodge power wagon, 3/4 rust bucket with blocks for lift to clear 38 inch boggers and he said a 318 is hard to find! ahahahahahahahaha i howled with laughter when he said he wanted 3grand for it and he got pissed and hung up. anywho. id like to see a boat thats worth 10 to 12 grand. cause wile you are upset maybe theres ppl out there who think you have a pos as well, i have see both sides do this. i asked 1200 for my 71 dart 2dr and couldnt get that much. so i traded it for my 67 corny. and the only mopars worth 40k are gtx, charger ( 67, 68, 69 and 70 only) super bee, maybe a 68 and 69 coronet r/t im not real sure, cudas( not a bodies) challengers ( 70 only) a bodies are not worth 40k not in this life time. so while you think other ppl are stupid and lazy they think you are too. if you dont like it dont buy it or just dont look.

bottom line, ppl have preferences like to me i may see your boat and laugh at you, its no offense its just not my preference. so id really like to see a 10k boat and if it is just a john boat i will not hesistate to laugh at you

"oh if i fixed it up it'd worth 4x its price, my loss your gain!"

"super super very rare not meny left! 5,000!" (stripped shell with parts in trunk rotting to the core)

Then you got people... who watch too much barret jackson trying to get 20k-30k for their car in this kind of economy when there's nothing rare about it -- but it's just 'nice' the interior, paint and other parts probably arent original anymore.

:violent2: Going insane.

Free entertainment, you can't beat it.

meh ive seen a 71 duster around here with with a nearly complete resto on the actual body(but for some reason the nose clip was painted already even though where the tailights are needs fixing) going for about a thousand.

dont stroke out!!!! first thing...if you are truly searching for a deal on craigslist..they can be found BUT it may take 6 mons to find it...craigslist is NOT like ebay....
second: those folks who want far too much will learn when they havent sold diddly in the next year...I am pretty certain they will hear the same story from far more then just you...and YES they are idiots !!
third...After having been there, what MOST people do not know about BJ's is the guys who built the cars and are auctioning them off likely have between 20 to 100 k invested OVER what they sell for! Pretty much in the last 4 years ost every car sold there is sold at a loss PLUS the commission to BJ's!!! some at less of a loss others at more of a loss but very very very few are PROFITABLE at all or to any significant money!!
third: my experience with craigslist is that it is typically a dumping ground...quality is few and far between and cost is often stupid!!!
someone selling a 5 year old power washer for $50 less than the new ones cost...you call the number and it's Bobs deck washing service!!! YOU KNOW that power washer has been beat to death and this moron wants to sell it for $50 less than the new one? he is NUCKIN FUTS!!! SAME with just about everything on there!!! Reasonable deals DO exist on CL but YOU have to HUNT for them and when you find them you must act fast!! ALWAYS take someone with you!!! never ever go alone with money in your pocket
Fourth: example of acting FAST!! friend just found a 1969 GTO convertible vehicle frame approx 5 to 900 depending, the listed cost was $150!!! THIS IS A DEAL....so my buddy calls him and it is still available with NO one interested or on their way to look at it....so my buddy says I will be there in 40 mins leaves the guy his number in case anything changes and off he went...the guy lived about 85 miles away.....38 mins later my buddy turns down the guys street...he is two blocks away and he gets a call.... someone showed up who lived closer plunked down $150 and WHOOP DER IT IS!!! MY buddy had TOLD the guy he'd buy it sight unseen , offered to send paypal to lock it in, guy said no way, my buddy said I will bring cash PLEASE hold it for me...guy says OK!!
then sells out from under!!! GUY is an A hole and ALMOST GOT HIS CLOCK CLEANED for bein a jerk!!

another friend was lookin for 70 cuda fenders & hood found them 14 miles away...price is right guys says they are MINT!!! "MINT" around Detroit means FLAWLESS JUST LIKE NEW as in money fresh from the Mint!! SO he hops in the car and drives over there...guy stops him in the driveway, says the price went up...buddy says how much guy say 100 per fender and 200 xtra for the hood...my buddy ponders it for a few then says let me see them..... so the guy takes him round back of his house to this huge pile of rusted $hit...digs through it for like 10 mins and pulls out 2 half eaten by rust fenders and a hood that has more holes in than swiss cheese!!!! My buddy say ...I dont think so, they guy gets PISSED OFF and starts yellin...my buddy says YOU SAID THEY WERE MINT...THEY ARE HALF EATEN AND RUSTY AS HELL....you are an idiot!! they guy pulls out a gun...not knowing that my buddy is a Detroit cop and carrys a hand cannon at all times, S&W 500 snub 50 cal!! they jerk is NOW lookin down the barrel of a hand gun that has a hole in the end of the barrel a little larger than the size of a dime!!! My buddy says feeling froggy? and the guy runs into his house!!!

like I said, quality is there...just you aren't going to find it in a few hours or a few days ...with CL patience is a virtue
AND AGAIN NEVER EVER GO ALONE

Its been said, but i'll say it again.

These idiots have no idea how much it costs to "fix up" one of these wrecks. I'll probably have 15k in my resto, not including the original purchase price, and thats doing ALL the work myself, even the paint. If someone else is doing the work, you better have some deep pockets.

They dont have a clue.

-
Back