Small Block
Crane Cam. R296-4778-10
Cam Dynamics R284

Big Block
Cam Dynamics R286-500

Thank you

For the Crane cam, scroll to the third post:
Old Crane Hemi cam grinds...

Looks like first number is duration, second is lobe lift, I think third may be LSA…296 single pattern (@050), 717 lift w/ 1.5 rocker, 110 LSA? Best I could glean from a short session on the old Google, maybe you can search and find better info. Healthy looking cams…gonna need some good parts & combo for those.

For the Crane cam, scroll to the third post:
Old Crane Hemi cam grinds...

Looks like first number is duration, second is lobe lift, I think third may be LSA…296 single pattern (@050), 717 lift w/ 1.5 rocker, 110 LSA? Best I could glean from a short session on the old Google, maybe you can search and find better info. Healthy looking cams…gonna need some good parts & combo for those.
Thank you. I saw similar explanations. I am hoping to confirm and compare to modern grinds.

I think modern grinds will have better lobe profiles with less duration…more finesse for valve train stability and “longevity”. Cam grinding has also improved. Modern heads that flow quite a bit better don’t seem to need as much cam as well. The Comp lobe catalog certainly has a HUGE variety of intensities and lobe lifts to pick from (waiting on some pistons to get my build put together with some of the aforementioned lobes…hope it’s not too expensive of a diploma!!!). You can of course still pick something that rockets the valves open and slams them shut if able to put in the maintenance for the max effort build.

I think modern grinds will have better lobe profiles with less duration…more finesse for valve train stability and “longevity”. Cam grinding has also improved. Modern heads that flow quite a bit better don’t seem to need as much cam as well. The Comp lobe catalog certainly has a HUGE variety of intensities and lobe lifts to pick from (waiting on some pistons to get my build put together with some of the aforementioned lobes…hope it’s not too expensive of a diploma!!!). You can of course still pick something that rockets the valves open and slams them shut if able to put in the maintenance for the max effort build.
These were some numbers I came across from pro and super stock in the 70's. I am sure they beat the valvetrain to pieces. I believe these to be roller cams

These were some numbers I came across from pro and super stock in the 70's. I am sure they beat the valvetrain to pieces. I believe these to be roller cams
I would think they’d have to be with those lobe lifts…and the spring pressure it would take to control I don’t know that flat tappets would make it through initial crank to fire? I’ve been told time and again that everything was made better back then though…

Crane bought out Cam Dynamics in the 70's. I spent way more time than I should have trying to identify a Cam Dynamics cam. The tables , charts, info to get identify a Cam Dynamics is not out there.
I found a guy on a that said he had the same cam from Dynamics that was Adv duration 280/280 480 lift on both on a 108 LSA.
The cam has a purple stripe on it, the members who look at pics first and text later, immediately claimed it was a MP purple shaft 284/484
Wrong answer, I will sell this cam for $40 plus shipping, use as is or present as a new core to Oregon Cams for a regrinding to your specifications

Crane bought out Cam Dynamics in the 70's. I spent way more time than I should have trying to identify a Cam Dynamics cam. The tables , charts, info to get identify a Cam Dynamics is not out there.
I found a guy on a that said he had the same cam from Dynamics that was Adv duration 280/280 480 lift on both on a 108 LSA.
The cam has a purple stripe on it, the members who look at pics first and text later, immediately claimed it was a MP purple shaft 284/484
Wrong answer, I will sell this cam for $40 plus shipping, use as is or present as a new core to Oregon Cams for a regrinding to your specifications
Sent a PM

Crane bought CD in 1982.

That's a 19701 for a small block..641 lift with a 284@50
The big block cam I still have it's a 19801..750 lift with 286@50

That's a 19701 for a small block..641 lift with a 284@50
The big block cam I still have it's a 19801..750 lift with 286@50
Have you run either of these before? Curious your thoughts on them.

Last edited:
Anybody that ran a 750 lift cam in the 80's knows all about the incredible expense in running one. My car ate valve springs about every 10 runs.

Spring tech and materials are much better now. Springs now might be somewhat expensive, at least they last.

I have a print out of both Crane & CD lobes which I believe is complete.
- R284. 338 adv @ 003; 284 @ 050; 191 @ 200; 0.308" lobe lift. Stocker series, dwell at max lift. This is a hyd roller.
- R286/500. 326 adv @ 0.0162"; 286 @ 050; 200 @ .200"; 500 lobe lift; lash 0.026".
- R296/4778-10. 328 adv @ 0.0225"; 296 @ 050; 209* @ 200; 0.4778" lobe lift; lash 0.028"; 110 LSA.

Good lesson to learned from these old profiles. A lot of nonsense from cam companies & a particular cam grinder who posts on another website. Listening to him you would he has invented many new designs.
Here, amongst these decades old lobes are sym & asym lobes, pages of Inverse Radius lobes, constant dwell, 0.640" lobe lifts, low harmonic lobes for increased valve spring life in circle track, etc.

I have a print out of both Crane & CD lobes which I believe is complete.
- R284. 338 adv @ 003; 284 @ 050; 191 @ 200; 0.308" lobe lift. Stocker series, dwell at max lift. This is a hyd roller.
- R286/500. 326 adv @ 0.0162"; 286 @ 050; 200 @ .200"; 500 lobe lift; lash 0.026".
- R296/4778-10. 328 adv @ 0.0225"; 296 @ 050; 209* @ 200; 0.4778" lobe lift; lash 0.028"; 110 LSA.

Good lesson to learned from these old profiles. A lot of nonsense from cam companies & a particular cam grinder who posts on another website. Listening to him you would he has invented many new designs.
Here, amongst these decades old lobes are sym & asym lobes, pages of Inverse Radius lobes, constant dwell, 0.640" lobe lifts, low harmonic lobes for increased valve spring life in circle track, etc.
Thank you! It would be really cool to have those print outs for reference.

Anybody that ran a 750 lift cam in the 80's knows all about the incredible expense in running one. My car ate valve springs about every 10 runs.

Spring tech and materials are much better now. Springs now might be somewhat expensive, at least they last.
This was in the 70's,and there was a lot of street racing going on.That cam had a steep learning curve.Triple valve springs that you had to cool.Back then we would drill into the oil gallery and put restrictors in to get more oil to the valve train (that stopped the valve spring breakage).Then a -8 rear oil line from the oil pump to the rear of the block.I had Del West Ti valves in my heads along with retainers and locks.Then I needed Crower rods because I picked 1500rpm with the Ti parts.Then an alum flywheel to stop the hard hit at the gear changes with the steel flywheel.
I was a kid and was having a great time learning in the 70's.I did not want to cage and cut up my GTX so I built My Dart.
Under those pipe plugs are where you access the oil gallery bleeds.
Hemi Dart
hemidart.jpg

oil gallerybleeds.jpg

-
Back