crane goldie rockers, good or bad?

-

eightaxles

Badfish
Reaction score
I seemed to have broken the adjustment nut and stud on # 4 exhaust, also bent both push rods in that cylinder in the process. I am using crane goldies 1.6, I think the rocker is salvageable if I can clean up the threads. My questions is that I read a thread that goes back to 2001 about faulty adjustment studs/nuts from crane, and maybe an oiling issue because of the cup at the top of the push rod not getting enough oil? Any suggestions? Is anyone still having this issue? Is anybody not using this setup because of continued problems?:banghead:

havent had mine long but gr8 so far do you have spring clearence or is there a scrape were the arm is hitting the spring only issue i have heard of look at your rocker arm,it might have a story to tell you

just marked up from the stud breaking off, nothing from the spring.

I went thru this years ago. There was a large batch of adjusters that were not properly heat treated that left the factory. They recommend if you break one that the whole set is questionable. After that experiance I use only Manley, Manton or Smith Bros.

That's what I was reading, and it was an old thread, probably a resolved issue I would imagine, just checking. I do think the rockers are good as well.

I am going with Comp 1622-16 rockers. Crane has been a great product over the years, not sure why they would have problems now?

I went thru this years ago. There was a large batch of adjusters that were not properly heat treated that left the factory. They recommend if you break one that the whole set is questionable. After that experiance I use only Manley, Manton or Smith Bros.

Went through this in 2001 with a brand new 440 I helped a friend build for his 65 Fury II.

He was driving it home from work one day and started hearing a pinging sound then shut it off. Started it back up and limped home from work in it...all the while carrying zero oil pressure.

Number one exhaust rocker broke under the adjusting nut, worked itself loose, chucked the pushrod and lifter out of its bore.

When I went to "listen" to it I made him quickly shut it off as I could hear the mains hammering in it.

Pulled it apart and the middle 3 main bearing were egg shaped and fell right out.

Called Crane about it and they said they had that "bad batch" go through. Sent him all new studs and locknuts as well as a check for $150.

Of course that wouldn't cover the costs of a crank grind/straighten and align hone. Not to mention gaskets and other parts.

Ended up reading about it in Mopar Action or Muscle a few months later as they had the same happen on a 360 they were building.

-
Back