Crane hi6 accel coil triggerd by point dist

-

67a273post

Reaction score
Running a crane hi 6 w Accel coil the big one triggerd by stock points dist w condenser removed . Cai I eliminate ballast resistor ? Also running 90 amp sensor alternator power lead to starter relay w ammeter bypassed ..

You'll want to keep the ballast resistor that comes with your Accel coil in the circuit. On the Ammeter Bypass, here are the general wiring guidelines from AllPar. I would go with at least the 6 gauge wire for the sensing alternator.
Alternator output rating Wire gauge Fusible Link
Under 50 Ampere
12 16
50-65 Amps
10 14
85 Amps
8 12
100 - 120 Amps
6 10

You need to specifically look up that coil. Some of those big coils (like some of the Accel and the old Mallory) REQUIRE TWO ballasts---the one it came with plus the stocker. In the early 70's I was witness to a Mallory coil blowing up all over an engine bay --because no ballast

Example: The big traditional Accel "Super coil" 14001

https://documents.holley.com/accel_instructions_universal_super_coil_140001.pdf

supercoil.jpg

Last edited:
You need to specifically look up that coil. Some of those big coils (like some of the Accel and the old Mallory) REQUIRE TWO ballasts---the one it came with plus the stocker. In the early 70's I was witness to a Mallory coil blowing up all over an engine bay --because no ballast

Example: The big traditional Accel "Super coil" 14001

https://documents.holley.com/accel_instructions_universal_super_coil_140001.pdf

View attachment 1715791393
Yep, back in the day when I ran an Accel Super Coil, I retained the stock ballast resistor and added the one that came with the coil.

So I have the crane hi -6 wired directly to the accel coil , ran off points distributor w/o condenser. Drove it all day so far so good adjusting timing and carb little by little .the ballast resistor is still in car wired up . Fuel pump is surging -Holley blue w reg- fuel tank full so it’s not sucking air ,tank is new ..weld in sump new running #6a/n … u can hear the pump surge in like 3 second intervals it also has auto meter volt gauge surging along w it … I have the early 90 amp Dakota alt 1field wire to ground 1 to ballast resistor and heat wire to starter relay .. any ideas y it pulses consistently?

-
Back