crank balance change from flywheel to flexplate

-

femtnmax

Reaction score
360 engine with oem cast crank, oem front damper, Ross forged pistons, eagle rods, and steel flywheel. Externally balanced including damper and flywheel mods.
The new owner of the engine installed a flexplate for auto trany. Can he take the flywheel and flexplate and have them weight matched? Or does the crank need to come out and rebalance the rotating assy using the piston/rod weight numbers, front damper, and flexplate?
Thank you in advance.

If the flywheel was modded as part of the crank balance process, then the standard flexplate for the 360 will not work. The 360 flexplate needs to be further modified to match the imbalance of the flywheel.

What you suggest is the only way I know of to avoid pulling the whole assembly apart. I understand this process, but don't do balance work for a living. The question is how closely it can be matched and if that is good enough. I would call a couple of machine shops that do precision balance work and ask them; one local shop here strives for <0.5 gram balance match so a good shop can get pretty close.

It is worth a shot IMO. The factory basically balances items like the damper and flexplate and the flywheel to a formula and gets close. With some care, a good shop ought to be able to do a lot better.

Kim, I think this is the subject engine: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=270631

Take the flywheel and balancer to a machine shop that does balancing and have the flexplate balance matched to the flywheel. Easy.. Been there done that. Just make sure you have the B& M 360 smallblock flexplate with the cut away in it to start with.

-
Back