Crank / balancer issue?

-

joseph schrom

Reaction score
I have a 72 Plymouth duster when motor was running noise came from the crank shaft area the balancer go's back and forth and sounds like the crank shaft is moving alone with it I have a feeling it could be a bearing

Sounds like the main thrust bearing is wore out. My buddy's 383 did that.
Stick or Automatic ?

If it's a stick it doesn't even need to be running. Just have someone push in the clutch and you can see it move.

sure damper not broken or bad? If it is the crank, it will be the thrust bearing.

Usually you find that condition with a stick car because of start up with the clutch in and holding the clutch in during long lights.This is with cars with many miles or years under it's belt.
But it can happen to any of them.

Most likely case is the rubber between damper and its pulley separated. Check if the timing mark is even close to TDC on compression stroke, using a timing light or stick your finger in the spark plug hole to feel pressure rise as you turn-over engine manually (ignition off). Bad main bearings give a deep thuddy sound under engine load. A bad thrust bearing would cause the crankshaft to move in and out axially. That is a common problem on Chrysler's 2005+ 2.4L engines after they stupidly changed to a smaller thrust bearing which fails. People say the crankshaft movement is obvious.

-
Back