Crank end play, destroyed converter, 408 nightmare

-
Probably wasn’t clear, not the cylinder hone. Studs can distort the main bearing bore alignment. Which if way off can be bored straight or it can be honed if slightly off. LA blocks seemed to be more susceptible to it than say a big block. My biggest worry is the surface finish. Cometic recommends a RA 50 for the block and head surface. I just searched and not that clear, but that may equate to 220 grit? Someone who knows better might chime in, but no issues for me, here’s my deck surface.

View attachment 1715329795
I'm not familiar with "RA 50" designation. I believe that back when I was a machinist, blueprints would call-out "rms xx", which stood for "root mean square". I believe that is a statistical term. The foreman had a tactile comparator card. It was about 3in x 7in, with individual areas with about 20 different surface finishes. You could visually compare and compare by feel your surface finishes to a standard. It was pretty cool. I don't know about now, but 50 years ago, they were a pretty expensive pocket tool.

-
Back