crank/ flywheel issues

-

iw378

Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have ran into this before. I have a 1970 318 that I am gonna stick in my 67 valiant as well as convert it to a 4 speed. I have all my parts and tried to install the flywheel today. No go. There seems to be a ridge around the crank register that prevents the flywheel from sliding on the crank flange flat. I measured the ridge and it is about .030 high. In the pic you can see the ring around the register. How would you guys fix this.
Either dissasemble motor and have flange machined or have a machine shop give me a relief cut in the flywheel..

IMG_0897.jpg

My first thought is that the flywheel is not the correct flywheel ? But on the good side there looks like you have the provision for the pilot bearing which is a good thing...

Or use a spacer plate.
Quick time makes a shim kit. Rm 942 that comes in different thicknesses. The kit is 25 bucks
And comes with the thickness I need I just have to open the big hole a bit to clear the step in the crank flange. The hole in the shim is 2.2 and I need a 2.7 hole so it sits flat. I could layout the hole and enlarge it with a dremmel. What do you guys think ? I just need .035 to make it work. If the flywheel is shimmed back.035 will there be issues with the starter or clutch adjustment ?

Definitely no sim and absolutely no Dremel!!
Maybe call Brewers tomorrow and see if there's different sizes or something it should slip right on.

It does slip right on. But not all the way due to the step in the crank flange. It's like they stopped surfacing the flange all the way to the register. Prolly a Friday crank. Lol this flywheel is for every small block mopar made. I have it seems a mis machined crank. No big deal with the flex plate as it has a recess

It does slip right on. But not all the way due to the step in the crank flange. It's like they stopped surfacing the flange all the way to the register. Prolly a Friday crank. Lol this flywheel is for every small block mopar made. I have it seems a mis machined crank. No big deal with the flex plate as it has a recess
hi, have machine shop machine a step on back side to match the crank. then you can still use flywheel on a regular crank if needed.

I'm still thinking about doing that.
I called McLeod this morning and they said a shim would be fine.
My worry about taking the flywheel to the machine shop is them messing it up

-
Back