Crank no start

-
Reaction score
My first post here so don’t harp on me too much..

I have a 1972 duster, 318 swapped and put in the proform electronic ignition system in 2-3 years ago. Ran and drove fantastic for that time.

The car was going to get a roll bar in and I wanted to fix some “lazy” things I did to just get the car on the road. Like re-centering the steering wheel since I didn’t have it clocked right. And in the meantime decided to put a motionraceworks quick release steering wheel hub on the car. After I installed it the car sat for a couple days and tried to start it and nothing.. figured the brain box(ecu) was toast so bought a new one Still nothing so started to replace the coil, ballast resisters and so on and still got nothing. I pulled the distributor and swapped in a points one I had laying around and still get nothing… until I touched the horn contact while cranking and it popped over.. I’m not a wiring/electrical guy but I’m completely lost.. again it’s my first post so don’t harp on me a bunch lol…

Sounds like a wiring issue. Start with the things you changed first. Have a wiring diagram?

Factory Service Manual has the diagrams.
Trace or copy the circuits of interest.
If you mean the horn contact in the steering wheel, IIRC there is a feed from the horn relay. It goes to the steering column connector and then to the horn switch. When the switch is pushed, the wire is grounded. That allows power through the horn relay and closes the circuit to the horns themselves.

The main circuits look like this
1715603632646.png

Follow this for more on the wiring diagrams

When you press the horn button does it start and keep running?

Or does it start and when you release the horn button it dies?

What if anything did you do to the wiring to install the steering wheel?

Did you remove the steering column in the I stall process?

When you press the horn button does it start and keep running?

Or does it start and when you release the horn button it dies?

What if anything did you do to the wiring to install the steering wheel?

Did you remove the steering column in the I stall process?
When I press the horn button it will pop over (haven’t tried to have it stay running since the timing it out.) I’ll try all these things and update everyone tonight

-
Back