Crank oil slinger?

-

MopaR&D

Nerd Member
Reaction score
When I took off the timing cover from my 318 there was a flat, circular blade-type thing on the crank in front of the crank timing chain sprocket. Now I'm putting the engine back together and it seems like from what I'm reading I don't really need that oil slinger thing. I switched to a double-roller timing setup and want to know if I need to put it back on and how?

It doesn't hurt a thing to leave it out, but I use them to help keep oil away from the front seal. Just a little piece of mind to avoid a leak.

Some people (like me) actually go out of their way to put things like slingers in. They only help control oil around the front seal - not a bad thing to do, and as mentioned work fine with any timing set.

I noticed that it sort of faces/curves one way when seated on the crank sprocket; should it face out or in? I'm guessing out because it gets really close to the chain if facing in.

NOT TO HIJACK THE THREAD..But when I replaced my harmonic balancer on the 273 with one from summit I took the "oil slinger cover" ..the thing with the felt gasket in it, off of the stock balancer and was going to put it on the new balancer but it did not seem to press on there correctly........I am wondering if you NEED it or with the new balancer and timing cover seal it should be good?????? Maybe someone else was wondering the same thing?

i'd say if you didn't need it they would put it in there from the start... unless your racing the car and it adds to much weight i'd put it in

NOT TO HIJACK THE THREAD..But when I replaced my harmonic balancer on the 273 with one from summit I took the "oil slinger cover" ..the thing with the felt gasket in it, off of the stock balancer and was going to put it on the new balancer but it did not seem to press on there correctly........I am wondering if you NEED it or with the new balancer and timing cover seal it should be good?????? Maybe someone else was wondering the same thing?

What is this felt gasket you speak of and where does it go?

The sling ring that is on the back side of the harmonic balancer and in front of the timing cover. It wouldnt press and seat on the balancer from summit because of the tapered backside of the balancer

Oh I know what you're talking about. I thought it was just part of the damper.

Hummmm, so, the oil slinger should have the curved part towards the timing cover... right?

The flet goes inbetween the cover and slinger?

(I never put them back in myself. I'd like to do it right from here on out myself.)

The thing I was talking about in my original post went between the timing chain crank sprocket and the timing cover. The thing SD65WAGON is talking about goes between the harmonic damper and the timing cover (and uses the felt gasket).

I have searched high and low for one of these things. My 408 stroker did not have one, and it blew oil out the front main seal profusely. I have sweated my rear off, pulling the whole front end off of one 67 Plymouth SB and an early 90's Magnum SB in a wrecking yard, and neither of them had this oil slinger. Where can I find one. I don't want to go back together without one.

Well, my 318 is a 1970 and had one. I don't think it's really that necessary though; I think if your front seal is leaking that bad then there's something wrong with your seal (or your damper).

-
Back