Crankshaft pulley cross overs?

-

nephlyte

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, i'm the proud new owner of an A/C system for my 66 valiant. But, i can't seem to find a 3 groove crankshaft pulley for a slant 6 anywhere.

So, i thought i'd throw it out there to y'all. Is the slant 6 crankshaft pulley unique? Are there other mopar engines i could pull one from that would be similar in size/bolt pattern?

Maybe there are more 3 groove pulleys out there for other engines.

If there are no other pulleys that will work with a slant 6, any other suggestions on solving this problem?

I bought an AC system off of a slant in an early A. Don't remember if the pulley was with it or not. I'll try to get out to the shop later today & look to see what I have. If it's there, I'm not gonna' need it.

Just got back from the shop. I don't have the pulley. Sorry.

Well, i'm the proud new owner of an A/C system for my 66 valiant. But, i can't seem to find a 3 groove crankshaft pulley for a slant 6 anywhere.

Do you have a factory system or aftermarket underdash? In the factory AC system, 2 of the 3 grooves are used with the alternator & AC. The 3rd groove is used if you have power steering. I take it you have PS as well. FYI a special bracket is required for the PS pump to use that 3rd groove

So, i thought i'd throw it out there to y'all. Is the slant 6 crankshaft pulley unique? Are there other mopar engines i could pull one from that would be similar in size/bolt pattern?

Yes to the first question and no to the 2nd.

Maybe there are more 3 groove pulleys out there for other engines.

Nope, you need the one for a slant

If there are no other pulleys that will work with a slant 6, any other suggestions on solving this problem?

I parted out a 66 Dart GT slant 6 with factory air and PS for use in my 65 GT. Was going to use it with a slant but changed direction and am going with a 340 in the 65 instead. I do have the 3 groove pulley and complete PS set-up to use with factory AC. Let me know if interested.

I parted out a 66 Dart GT slant 6 with factory air and PS for use in my 65 GT. Was going to use it with a slant but changed direction and am going with a 340 in the 65 instead. I do have the 3 groove pulley and complete PS set-up to use with factory AC. Let me know if interested.

You are masterful at bringing me down before lifting me back up.

But, it will not be a factory air. It will be an aftermarket system with a sanden 508 compressor. As far as the bracket goes, i was going to deal with that issue when i got there. I won't be installing this for a couple of months at least. Another member hooked me up with a bracket from an A/C equipped slant 6. I don't know if it was just the A/C bracket he gave me or if it was a power steering bracket as well. (and that part is currently in my garage in Corpus christi, so i can't check it out)

So, i'm going to stick this compressor in the same place that the original would go (i'm thinking). Do you think keeping the same belt set up as an original system is advisable? This is about 10 steps ahead of what i've thought out so far.

So, i'm going to stick this compressor in the same place that the original would go (i'm thinking). Do you think keeping the same belt set up as an original system is advisable? This is about 10 steps ahead of what i've thought out so far.

I'm not familiar with the compressor you're going to use and it's bracketry for installation or the number of belts it uses (I'm thinking it might use a single belt). If the compressor uses a double belt and you mount it in the same position as an original RV2, then you'd probably need a 3 groove pulley. I suspect what you'll have to do is mock everything up to see exactly what you need.

Thanks charlie, but i'm not going to be doing this job for months from now. I don't even have all the parts in the same place to compare stuff.

But i will be sure to message you when i start up. We can talk then. Looks like you have a great mounting set up there. Maybe i can imitate it.

I've had a couple with a/c; both factory and not. They had pulleys that bolted onto the crank pulley.

The factory A/C drive pulley is bolted to the rear of the damper. Most aftermarket A/C compressor mount kits, have a pulley that bolts to the front of the damper. The problem is, with the front mounted pulley the compressor is mounted so far forward, the fan will hit the compressor clutch. They tell you to space the fan forward, but most of our slant six cars do not have enough clearence to the fan to add a thich enough spacer.
The compressor mount I have available, uses the OEM factory drive pulley on the rear of the damper, and does not have compressor/fan/radiator clearence problems. It does require more work to install the drive pulley. The compressor and mount will also work with a Offie manifold, and Clifford headers. I am pretty sure it will fit with other headers, and a Clifford manifold, but did not have them available for a test fit.

From what I hear, the 3 bolt pattern is the same bolt circle as what's used on small and big block Chevies. So there are other pulleys besides slant six ones that will bolt on; the challenge is lining up the belts.

From what I hear, the 3 bolt pattern is the same bolt circle as what's used on small and big block Chevies. So there are other pulleys besides slant six ones that will bolt on; the challenge is lining up the belts.

Hmm, i'd have to get some first hand experience to verify this.

But, i'm not sure i could live it down. A chevy part to solve my problem, my friends would rib me everytime i opened my hood.

But, i'm not sure i could live it down. A chevy part to solve my problem, my friends would rib me everytime i opened my hood.

I've got GM HEI ignition, and the custom bellhousing to use a Mustang T-5 tranny (someday). There aren't many aftermarket parts made for our lowly little leaners. If you wanna go beyond stock on a slant, beggars can't be choosers. It's not about betraying the brand, it's about being creative, and using ingenuity to "fill the gaps" in the marketplace.

Hmm, i'd have to get some first hand experience to verify this.

It's a bad habit of mine. Like Vynn said, when there's not much aftermarket, you sometimes end up grabbing what you can find at the junkyard. At one point or another in my engine build, I have used BMW, Chevy, Datsun, Ford, Mitsubishi, SAAB, and Toyota parts on my Dart, plus several parts I bought from McMaster-Carr and Tractor Supply. Funny thing is I refuse to swap the slant six for a V8. :)

-
Back