Crankshaft Qestion

-
Are all big block cranks the for four speed and automatic?
Not sure exactly what you are asking. Simple answer is yes, however if for instance you take a 440 out of say a '74 Fury with a 727 and try to put it in a 4-speed car the pilot bushing most likely will not fit. Have the crank bored or do like I did and spend two weeks with sandpaper in the crank bore and taking down the bearing a little.

100% bb cranks are for automatics. Most pre-73 are dilled for 4sp except 400s which are never unless it's a forged crank. About 50% of the drilled cranks are correctly finish reamed for the factory pilot bushing. NAPA has a thinner pilot bushing for use with the non finish-reamed cranks. Or the MP Magnum type roller pilot bearing that is installed in the cranks hub.

Thanks for the replies guys, Let me make my question more specific. I have a 383 with a four speed behind it (68 vintage). Can I change it to a 727 without having to worry about the torque converter not fitting into the crankshaft because the snout is too large in diameter?

...............As long as u have a 67 up converter 4 it.....no balancing weights needed, it will b neutral balanced....kim...........

-
Back