crankshaft recommendations

-
thanks. the shop said that bearings at 30 under is fine for street. They not like to cut more, can go 60 under max. not certain when you re hard chrome, or when it time to move on. They not fans of too cheap forged cranks. you get what you pay for. They like scats cast crank for street, to at least getting what you pay for. Scats forged is too heavy. They like other American forged cranks. $1500 up to $3200 for a crank.

Scat makes decent stuff. I had the Scat 9000 crank,I ordered from the local Dodge dealer(2004). I was impressed.Came in at minimum spec,no major journal taper. Did have to buy,the radiused chamfer race bearings.

that was the wording my builder used. he said no bearing taper, dead on specs with scat. eagle is always off, junk.

The eagle cast sucks. The forged are much better. Not as good as K1, but decent. MP is still Scat and they can make 600hp at the crank in a properly built package. I have two that exceed that with nitrous and have for 8 years now.
But that being said - you don't need a 4" stroke and it gets pricey. Just use what you have but in terms of the crank going to .030 - it should be nitrided because you're cutting away all the hardening. 340 forged cranks are not hard to find (nor are 273 or 318 forged) so I'd replace it.

ok, I got the short end of and move the stick on that short block I bought. worn block, crank , pistons. he put it together dirty. ran it dirty, ran low on oil to bearings. can't tell a book by its cover when it is used auto parts. price of a education.
well just get a scat crank on.

bearings at .100 would be fine if they made them. People make too much of a big deal about that. Sounds like it will be fine to me.

You get what you get - sometimes you get lucky but not often...lol. I try to only buy cores - for core prices. That way the only possible mistakes are my own. The 360 I traded a 440 for years ago - was rebuilt. I took it apart to check ad found the #3 main bearing was put in reversed - the "top" 1/2 with the oil feed hole was in the cap so it got no oil to two rods. Somehow it ran that way too but the crank is toast. I think it needs to be replaced but I haven't given to the grinder to double check me yet.

Stock Crank turned 20 under, cleaned up:D good in the end. Thanks for the the advice guys.

-
Back