Crap my front tires are hitting my fenders!!!

-

johnnycuda

JohnnyCuda's 68
Reaction score
Hey all I have a 68 barracuda with
215/60/15 BFG'S if front which have an 8.2 inch tread with a 25.2 overall diameter if i run a:
215/70/15 BFG with a 6.5 tread but a 26.9 in diameter will i be in better shape?
I'm prettyy sure this is what i had on my blue barracuda i just sold.

What about cranking up the torsion bars a bit? Is your ride height (ground to bumper) within spec or a little low from sagging suspension?

The suspenion is all brand new i just need an alignment.
I never run 60's on the front they always hit i was wondering if the size theory make sence as far as being narrower but slightly taller.
the corner of the tread is what just rubs the fender.

What about cranking up the torsion bars a bit? Is your ride height (ground to bumper) within spec or a little low from sagging suspension?

The suspenion is all brand new i just need an alignment.
I never run 60's on the front they always hit i was wondering if the size theory make sence as far as being narrower but slightly taller.
the corner of the tread is what just rubs the fender.

Ok. Since installing the new suspension have you set the ride height? they describe it in the service manual.

I've never run 60's on mine. I have 225 70's on the front of my Formula S. No problem...

No, i have not.
Where do they say to set ride height?
I did measured each wheel well to ground it measures 25 3/4 inches?
just to get it even.

Ok. Since installing the new suspension have you set the ride height? they describe it in the service manual.

I've never run 60's on mine. I have 225 70's on the front of my Formula S. No problem...

Let me go to my "library" and see what I can look up.

You mentioned that you need an alignment, that in itself may solve the problem, they should also check/set ride height when doing the alignment. Had same problem on my 68 after swapping to big bolt pattern and once the front end was properly aligned, the problem was no more!

Good luck!

You need to look at page 2-4 in the 68 service manual on how to check the ride height. it explains it by measuring to two different points on the lower control arms. Too hard to retype here without pictures to explain.

You basically measure from the pivot of the lower control arm to the floor and then from the lower ball joint to the floor and subtract the difference, (with the center pivot ALWAYS being higher than the lower ball joint.

The spec for difference between side to side is 1 3/8 +/- 1/8 inches.

You mentioned that you need an alignment, that in itself may solve the problem, they should also check/set ride height when doing the alignment.
Good luck!

Unfortunately not all alignment guys know to check the ride height on old Mopars. Only the guys that know mopars know to do that. It's hard to find an alignment guy familiar with these old suspensions.

Yup that's my issue.
All the good alignment guys are far and few inbetween.

Unfortunately not all alignment guys know to check the ride height on old Mopars. Only the guys that know mopars know to do that. It's hard to find an alignment guy familiar with these old suspensions.

I thought that there was a spec to the front bumper somewhere, but I can't find it. I find it interesting that the inner pivot is supposed to be higher than the lower ball joint, but they don't have a target number or spec on it....

There is a thread with service manual downloads on here somewhere, you may be able to find a copy of the 68 service manual in that thread.

When you get it aligned, ask them to adjust positive caster as high as possible. Doing this is recommended with radial tires and moves the spindle top rearward, gaining clearance between the front of the tire and the fender.

Yup that's my issue.
All the good alignment guys are far and few inbetween.

Many guys in the old days didn't understand the upper cam bolts and how to align them. Now these new kids don't have a clue what that old stuff is....

If you find a good old mopar alignment guy, grab onto him and don't let go....

I just adjusted mine myself. Man what a difference. Does the mopar chassis book have any info on adjusting front end

I've been looking through the chassis book. I don't see a whole lot. There may be a little as to the distance between the bumpers and the stops but it's vague. Of course hitting the fenders is real vague too. Are they hitting as the wheels turn? Or are they hitting as the car sits? Were these the same wheels the car had before the rebuild? If not, what's the back spacing? If they hit when turning there's a slight chance an alignment may fix it. I've had my Mopars riding all the way up and all the way down in the past and have never hit. I was going to go out and measure my ride height but it's cold and the barn is a long ways away. I'll try to get out there sometime soon.

Look again 215/70/15 is 6.5 tread width and rim width.
thanks for all the info guys.
I just confirmed i had 215/70/15 on my other 68 and didn't rub???

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=Radial+T%2FA

First of all,you have your tire numbers askew.
BFG...215/60/15. 8.7" wide 25.2 tall
BFG...215/70/15. 8.6" wide 26.8 tall

On the 215/70 the 6.5" is rim width,not tread width.
You think you have problems now,try putting on a 26.8" tall tire.Not going to happen.

The 215/60/15 you have,should fit like a glove.
I run 215/70/14 tires on a 65 and 70 Dart. On the early A I had to slightly trim the bottom of the front fender. Easy,Peazy.
215/70/14...8.7" wide 25.9 tall
As you can see the two tires are almost identical.
You have the right tires,just a little adjusting is necessary.

Do you have pics of the tires on the car,and where it is hitting ?

Hey all I have a 68 barracuda with
215/60/15 BFG'S if front which have an 8.2 inch tread with a 25.2 overall diameter if i run a:
215/70/15 BFG with a 6.5 tread but a 26.9 in diameter will i be in better shape?
I'm prettyy sure this is what i had on my blue barracuda i just sold.

Sure you don't have 225/60-15s? Because 215 is the width measurement in millimeters -- it should be the SAME for 215/60 and 215/70 -- the 70 is taller but should be pretty much the same width.

It's pretty well known that 225/60-15 doesn't fit on the front.

Tread width may be 6.5" but the section width of both tires will be the same. 215mm divided by 2.54 is a section width of 8.45" 60 % as tall vs width yields a tire 25.2" dia on 15" and 70% is 26.9" dia on 15"
Wheel offset may be causing you an issue too. Are your current wheels the same offset as your other car?

-
Back