Crap!

-

MikeyBoy

Reaction score
So i picked up some used wheels, 5x4.5, front 8 inch, rear inch. 4.25 backspacing on the front, and 5 on the back (i know i need a small spacer for it)

So im thinkin im lookin good, i go to test fit the front tire, and what do you know. the center of the brake, (the part behind the dust cap) is like an 1/8 of an inch wider then the hole on the wheels.

So now i have to be thinking about that too i guess when i am looking for wheels. I have a 75 dart so i know it has the bigger breaks.

My question now is, when looking at used wheels (since i can not afford brand new ones), are there any models that should work without havin to do a whole bunch of checking, or do i need to be asking everyone i talk to to measure that middle bit from now on.

I'm just a bit frustrated at the moment.

so you have a 2" center register wheel and a 2&1/8" register hub.
I think the 2" diameter is a Ford wheel spec w/ 5X4.5
What type of wheel are you looking for ?

well i think the wheels are of some kind of mitsubishi or something, i dont really know the man i bought them from was using them on a jeep wrangler.

I just use craigslist alot to find a bargain on stuff, and never realised this could be a problem. Sure does make finding a set of used rims just that much more difficult.

To be honest i am not like oh i gotta have this wheel or that wheel, i just want something that looks good. The pickier you are the more you pay haha. And on a college budget, that just isnt ok.

I hear ya, definately sucks. My american racing wheels wont swap. 18s on the back will not fit on the front. But the 17s fit with no problems...just two different hub sizes american racing decided to do. Same exact wheel. I got plain lucky i didnt go all 18s!

Some can be opened up in a lathe. Depends on how the wheel is made.
I've used grinders and files on steel wheels.

ugh, I used a dremmel and a rat tail file on my mountaineer alum wheels... not fun.

yah, that might be an option yet. i guess taking an 1/8 of an inch off wouldnt be too bad. i dont know, i might just start the search again, and paint the steelies gloss black in the meantime. i got a whole lot goin on today on it already.

gonna push the front bumper in, and primered the roof after taking the vinyl top off and fixing all the crap up there. ill do another thread and pics of this stuff later

-
Back