Crate engines

-

bbizelli

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m currently trying to figure out what to do with my 318 that came out of my duster and build a stroker with it or possibly purchase a crate engine. I’ve been looking at the Performance Injection Equipments 408 stroker that’s 8k is what’s listed on their website. Has anyone had any experience with their motors? Or would it be more beneficial to build my motor? Or any other crates that people recommend? I’m just unsure of what I want to do right now and looking for other opinions and thoughts. Thanks!

I've been running a Blue Print 408 for over 2 years with no motor issues. I've also spoken to Blue Print's support a couple of times about parts and other miscellaneous questions and I am very happy with the interaction. Everyone was polite and knowledgeable. And finally, Johnny Mac on our site has been amazing and very helpful

Hey all, I’m currently trying to figure out what to do with my 318 that came out of my duster and build a stroker with it or possibly purchase a crate engine. I’ve been looking at the Performance Injection Equipments 408 stroker that’s 8k is what’s listed on their website. Has anyone had any experience with their motors? Or would it be more beneficial to build my motor? Or any other crates that people recommend? I’m just unsure of what I want to do right now and looking for other opinions and thoughts. Thanks!
You might ping @JohnnyMac right here on FABO. He has supplied many guys on here with his motors. Great guy, solid product.

You might ping @JohnnyMac right here on FABO. He has supplied many guys on here with his motors. Great guy, solid product.
I don't remember the name of the company, but I saw a ad for a engine builder that advised their 318 crate engines at $8,500. That was a couple of years ago and I think that I could build 2 for the price of his one. His 318's were like 300 hp.

I don't remember the name of the company, but I saw a ad for a engine builder that advised their 318 crate engines at $8,500. That was a couple of years ago and I think that I could build 2 for the price of his one. His 318's were like 300 hp.
Thats pretty crazy! BluePrint Engines offers several HP levels of 408 starting at 6500 for a dyno tested 408, so I couldn't imagine paying 8500 for a 318. Yikes!

Good afternoon! I'm the Product manager of BluePrint Engines. As you can see we sponsor the forum, and I've developed great relationships with a bunch of happy customers here on FABO, FBBO, etc. Happy to talk engines any time! shoot me a PM if you're interested in chatting. We offer a tame, iron headed 408, and a pretty snappy aluminum headed 408 with a roller cam, roller valvetrain, and 500 ft lbs of torque!

hope to hear from ya, or any questions, ask away!

BPC4085 Engine Options465 HP, 494 ft-lbsStarting at $7,799.00Roller Ca

BPC4082 Engine Options375 HP, 460 ft-lbsStarting at $6,599.00

Last edited:
Good afternoon! I'm the Product manage of BluePrint Engines. As you can see we sponsor the forum, and I've developed great relationships with a bunch of happy customers here on FABO, FBBO, etc. Happy to talk engines any time! shoot me a PM if you're interested in chatting. We offer a tame, iron headed 408, and a pretty snappy aluminum headed 408 with a roller cam, roller valvetrain, and 500 ft lbs of torque!

hope to hear from ya, or any questions, ask away!

BPC4085 Engine Options465 HP, 494 ft-lbsStarting at $7,799.00Roller Ca

BPC4082 Engine Options375 HP, 460 ft-lbsStarting at $6,599.00
Thanks. I'm going to check them out

Thats pretty crazy! BluePrint Engines offers several HP levels of 408 starting at 6500 for a dyno tested 408, so I couldn't imagine paying 8500 for a 318. Yikes!
I'll never pay that much for a 300 hp 318. A friend of mine built a 406 Chevy making like 625 hp for under 7k, now true that was a couple of years ago

In addition to their great engines, good prices and incredible customer service (especially @Johnny Mac ) their warranty is the best I've seen.

I wouldn't hestitate to recommend Blueprint to anyone. My BP 408 is an animal. 458HP, 503TQ.

20201128_155125.jpg

Everyone here seems to go to Blueprint engines when they’re looking for a crate motor. From everything I’ve read they put out a great product, but it would be nice to hear personal experiences from other crate engine builders.
If you’re capable of building your own engine that’s the way to go. You’ll save money and know exactly what’s in it.

Everyone here seems to go to Blueprint engines when they’re looking for a crate motor. From everything I’ve read they put out a great product, but it would be nice to hear personal experiences from other crate engine builders.
If you’re capable of building your own engine that’s the way to go. You’ll save money and know exactly what’s in it.
Thing is, for the most part you can't build a engine for what you can get a crate engine for. I've read articles on a lot of crate engines that use quality machine work and parts.

Another advantage of a crate engine is a warranty

Thing is, for the most part you can't build a engine for what you can get a crate engine for. I've read articles on a lot of crate engines that use quality machine work and parts.
Sure, I’ve read articles on other crate motors, but I’d like to hear personal experiences from FABO members about other crate engine builders besides Blueprint.

Nice... how difficult to switch over to the Magnum?
Pretty simple really. Intake manifold pattern is different from la to magnum, but if you buy one with the intake on it, that's a non issue. We use an LA timing cover, so makes it easy. We also sell, or include the correct weight balancer. Flywheel is an LA 360. Anything else I can think of is actually 318 to 360, or pre/post 1970 nuances, but that's smallblocks in general. Not magnum related.

I'll never pay that much for a 300 hp 318. A friend of mine built a 406 Chevy making like 625 hp for under 7k, now true that was a couple of years ago

I’d like to see that dyno sheet. I guess 625 is the new 500. Back in the day Chevrolet never made a small block or no one ever built one that was less than 500 hp. Even the lowly 283 was 500 hp.

I bought a Blue Print engines dressed 408,(it was actually 410) eddy aluminum headed crate in 2009. There are differences between what was in mine and the current offerings. None that I would say should deter your typical crate engine customer. Mine came with Scat H beam rods, a Barry Grant mighty demon 825, and the eddy heads, eddy rpm airgap intake, MSD ready to run distributor. I’m still running the block,crank,rods. Due to the class I run, I have had to change out everything else. After abusing it for years. Like 50,000 street miles 700 plus runs, before I tore it down to change pistons. The bearings were toast. Not their fault, I really abused it, I got it warm once and it pushed the head gasket into the valley very slightly. It ran with some water in the oil to get it home. The crank was still straight and only needed polishing. The bores were still round and straight. All it needed was bore surface prep. It was absolutely the right choice for me back then. 13 years of experience later, I would build it myself. Not because of the product you get from them, but my needs are pretty specific. I could be wrong, but in the past you can only get a cast crank. This is fine for the vast majority of the people that buy a crate engine. I need forged and asked if they would upgrade it. At that point they wouldn’t. Honestly, it is my limiting factor now. My next change would be roller cam and I’m uncomfortable pushing the cast Scat crank to that level and the rpm it see’s. If it was a forged crank, I would stick with it and change to roller. My plan is to move it over to my other fastback, put all the goodies that came with it back on it with a thicker head gasket and drive it on the street. So great choice for someone wanting a high performing, drop in motor that will last.

-
Back