Crate motor suggestions wanted

-

steve801

Reaction score
Looking for builder recommendations for a new 318 crate motor.

I dont think your going to find too many here recomending ANY crate motors as you pretty much can't trust any of them being built correctly, I would recomend finding a local machine shop in your area that has a good rep and have them build one for you, you could get a good core from a bone yard and go from there,

i agree only to add try to find a mopar only shop or one the owner is fond of mopars example shady dells ......chuck lofgren ..ect

i bought a 360 crate motor from maund motorworks put 1000 miles so far trouble free

i bought a 360 crate motor from maund motorworks put 1000 miles so far trouble free
1000 miles?? let me know how it runs after 10,000 miles who is maund motorworks never heard of them b4, and the OP was requesting a crate 318. And I agree jimjim see if you can find a MOPAR shop, I left that out...

he is an engine builder in pa he specializes in chryslers he lists a 318 on his website

he is an engine builder in pa he specializes in chryslers he lists a 318 on his website
I am not picking on you or your motor, I hope it runs forever, but after doing a 5 minute research on Maund Motorworks, who sells thier engines on Ebay, I found this:

http://www.ramchargercentral.com/scams/maund-motorworks-scam/

Anyone who's heard of maund motorworks out of coal center, PA should stay away.

the company is a seller of "reman'd motors" and SPECIALIZES IN CLASSIC AND ANTIQUE MOPAR. I purchased a performance 360 last july for $2700.00. Because of supposed race season, engine wasn't even sent to machine shop until october and finished in december. Right off the bat had severe oil leak from the rear main area. after removing the tranny, found out it was a BIG BLOCK OIL PAN ON A SMALL BLOCK ENGINE. had a tapping in the valve train which became a dangerous knocking. turned out to be 4 tapets beaten. 2 of them were concave and 2 of them were beaten with the imprint of the cam lobe to the hallow of the lifter. while taking off the rocker assembly. found all pushrods were rusted, pitted and marred-all of them. this guy is selling used parts in a reman engine with supposed new parts at new part price. this is a ebay seller going for $2700.00......BEWARE

Ok I stand corrected that guy (on ramcharger central) must have been a tool they have 100% customer support on Ebay.
Look all I am saying is more often than not a "crate" motor is not the way to go.

like i said i bought my 360 from him i own a repoair shop quality was great i had some questions so i called and matt himself answers grat guy and the 360 i bought has been run hard after cam break in

we have several good builders who are members here , try calling Brian at IMM or the guys at Muscle Motors both have good reps stay away from Indy and now I'm told there's been some issues with Hughes as well , just remember it's important to be honest with yourself and your builder about what your going to do with this motor so the build can be tailored accordingly , We have a local guy with a 528 Hemi blown and injected sticking out of the hood of his duster it's an awesome motor but he has never had the car over 40 mile an hour so the motors had to be totally redone twice in the last few years due to fuel washing the cylinders if you aren't going to use 900hp don't put it in your car .I'm sure I could have gotten more pwer for the same buck in my build but I let Brian know I was driving the car cross country 3000+ miles at a time not 1/4 mile at a time so he built a motor that could do that {It still makes 520hp/525tq } and live on .

If you are going to buy a crate motor, get a 360.

It will give you additional HP and TQ for not much added cost at all. Put you money toward something with a more added potential.

sorry about this stupid question but is a 318, 340 and 360 all the same block? and therefore will bolt in?

Not a stupid question, they are not all the same block, but if you have a 318 a 340 or 360 will bolt right in, there are 2 different styles of engine mounts, but I do beleve they bolt in on any small block.

the drivers side mount on a 360 is different and requires a "conversion bracket to bolt to a 318/340 K member

the drivers side mount on a 360 is different and requires a "conversion bracket to bolt to a 318/340 K member

No, the 360 and 340 have a drivers side mount that is slightly different than the 318 mount.

You can use the 318 mount and use a spacer on one of the three bolts on your existing motor mount bracket. Something like between a 3/8" and 1/2" spacer. The other two bolts are fine.

I got my crate 360 from mancini and its worked great so far, had it for like 3-4 years.

No, the 360 and 340 have a drivers side mount that is slightly different than the 318 mount.

You can use the 318 mount and use a spacer on one of the three bolts on your existing motor mount bracket. Something like between a 3/8" and 1/2" spacer. The other two bolts are fine.

I stand corrected sir , I did the 318 to a 360 block swap and needed the conversion bracket but I can see how you could accomplish it with a spacer .

i have a mo-perf 360/380 crate and its the best engine i ever had ... runs cool , can go to traffic without a problem ! and as a lots of power and its verry reliable ..still few of them can be bought on the internet , a real bang for the buck !

-
Back