Crate Motors-"Not For Use With A/C" Warning

-

Forrest

Reaction score
I am looking at re-powering with the Mopar Performance crate motors, either the 320 HP or the 380 HP 360, but each motor description contains a warning stating, "Not For Use With A/C". I want to keep my A/C functional after the re-power, why the conflict with the A/C? ('69 Dart, 273 motor, 904 tranny, 7-1/4 rearend).
Thanks,
Forrest

Possibly because the intakes do not have the bolt bosses necessary to mount the compressor and braces. Tension idler mount? Just guesses.

72 demon is correct, the holes are not there to install the compressor bracket

Not a fan of crate motors,find a shop that you can trust and have them build you what you want,i've heard wayyyyy too many horror stories about them to ever buy a crate motor,and besides you'll get to pick out all the components and know firsthand whos building it,those crate motors are built on an assembly line by who knows who..

Not a fan of crate motors,find a shop that you can trust and have them build you what you want,i've heard wayyyyy too many horror stories about them to ever buy a crate motor,and besides you'll get to pick out all the components and know firsthand whos building it,those crate motors are built on an assembly line by who knows who..
I like the way you think!
Thanks,
Forrest

gday, just about to start a rebuild on my 273 w/out ac and was looking at adding ac to it down the line. Do you know of any intakes that are compatible as that thought never even crossed my mind while deciding on what i want. thanks

The old Edelbrock LD340 intakes have the factory like mounting bosses for the compressor brackets.

I got a crate motor from Speed O Motive out of CA..Long story short it lasted 40 miles before I lost oil pressure completely.Now I build my own engines. Jim

So far I have been happy with my MP crate, 500 miles with no problems yet. Mopar crates where built by cummins until 2008 not sure who is doing them now.

I purchased my mopar crate magnum 402 stroker 6 years ago and NEVER had an issue with it . I beat the snot out it everytime a take it out !
That engine Rocks !!! IT'S a BEAST !
I here all these issues about other magnum engines brakeing down ..... What's with that ?....
I must have a freak engine !
darty

raggie engine 10 31 08 pix 287.jpg

I purchased my mopar crate magnum 402 stroker 6 years ago and NEVER had an issue with it . I beat the snot out it everytime a take it out !
I here all these issues about other magnum engines brakeing down ..... What's with that ?....
darty

Aren't the 402's just short-blocks though and you have to add your own heads/cam/intake/carb/headers?

darty

As far as longevity with crate motors consider yourself lucky...by the way what does that 402 run for 1/4 times??..

My 402 stroker ran some mid 11's last year . I just installed a Glass hood and front bumper, light weight bumper braces , took out the tension rods and took off 85 lbs. then I just took out the heater box that was another 20#s. 100#s less = one tenth quicker , I just installed a X-pipe late last fall and now new ultra flows are going on == another tenth quicker .. So I am chiseling that 11.50 time down into low 11's . .. Plus it has a 150 nitrious on her. She will run 10's all day with that .working on that roll bar next !
darty

wheels up raggie best  400 pix.jpg

I bought my 402 6 years ago , It was complete. $5,000. all I had to do was had a fuel pump and carb .
Mopars newer version is a 406 magnum stroker . Complete..... a little more bore .
same hp and tq numbers .

wheels up raggie best  400 pix.jpg

there are smaller compressors and other ways to mount one,,, get a street rod magazine,,,street and performance makes other options for mounting mopar a/c compressors,,,

I have a friend with a 406 MP crate motor and it is having all sorts of thrust bearing issues. Starts out fine, then clearances itself to about .030. Car runs 11 teens.

He was warned not to buy a crate but wanted to get the ride rolling. I'd like to get a look at the bearings and crank next time he replaces the thrust bearing. It's had 2 in the last 6 months.

You have to remember that those crate engines aren't hand assembled and some, like the short blocks aren't all brand new. With that comes all the same problems you could have with a production engine or a reman unit.

I bought a 360 crate short block because I had to have an engine together and racing in less than a week. I took it all apart, cut the pistons for valve clearance, added ARP rod bolts and main studs, didn't line hone or resize anything. Slammed it together and ran 10.89 first pass with a smaller cam than I was using (only .25 slower) because I was afraid to cut the pistons any deeper.

After the last two races and the divisional finals were over I took it back apart and got a spare piston to cut up to see how deep I could go. I got my big cam in there and the car was just as fast as it was with my high dollar 340 short block. Been racing it for 5 years now. Go figure.

crate engines
i bought my 360/380 from chrysler back in 2003 and have never had any problems with. probly have 2500 miles on it. remember there is a difference between a chrysler magnum crate and a john doe who rebuilds and puts it in a crate. then lists it as a crate motor.
terry

I have a friend with a 406 MP crate motor and it is having all sorts of thrust bearing issues. Starts out fine, then clearances itself to about .030. Car runs 11 teens.

He was warned not to buy a crate but wanted to get the ride rolling. I'd like to get a look at the bearings and crank next time he replaces the thrust bearing. It's had 2 in the last 6 months.

It's also possible that the converter is ballooning and causing the thrust bearing problem. Thrust bearings just don't wear out for no apparent reason. It could be an outside force causing it and not a problem with the engine.

-
Back