Crazy 318 Stroker question

-

sublimeswinger

SUBLIME Senior Member
Reaction score
OK i got a hair up my butt last last to look into making a crazy 318. Why?
I dont know, But i have one and just started dreaming about making the sickest 318. OK lets stop before it starts "why would you do that?Get a 360
Thats not the point, its about a 318.

Ok so being new to this whole thing, maybe i dont know what im even talking about but here it goes.

Take a 318 and add a 390 stroker kit.

Not sure even what a stroker does but thats why im here....to learn

next get a 318 6 pack kit. (that would just be crazy)
iron heads from Hughes
x262 cam
600+ carb
windage tray

what else?

I know this would cost alot of money, but would it not be Crazy?

What do you guys think? How many horses?

Just Dreamin

I knew a dude that ran an honest 318 and a six pac. Preety damn quick.
Adding a stroker kit to make 390 cubes no longer makes it a 318. The stroker kit adds cubic inchs via the crank. It add's mad amounts of torque.
But should you stroke it to 390 cubes, all that you wrote after that is worthless babble. Though not bad for a 318, just not a 390.

Since your new to engines by your own words, I would suggest a few books. Hot to hot rod your MoPar by Larry Shepard and the MoPar engines book (For small blocks) by MoPar Performance.

Once you get through those, theres more, but stick to those first and then come on back with the questions. The books will really help put things into place for you.

Sounds like you've got the V8 bug and you need to get that /6 outta that Dart and get yourself a 318! If you look and ask around you should be able to find one cheap. I've currently got garden variety 318 in my '65 Barracuda and it's great! I got it free in a deal with some parts, it looked really nasty but some soap and water and a quickie paint job made a world of difference. I threw my 4-barrel intake and carb on there and dress up stuff, and voila..I've got a great looking engine bay!

Resize of Img_8663.jpg

Resize of IMG_8672.JPG

Resize of Img_8696.jpg

318 stroked to a 390 is not a 318. a 360 stroked to a 408 is not a 360. 426 stroked/bored to a 528 is not a 426. . . in other words i agree with rumblefish. You want to stick out and build a 318, stroking it doesnt keep it a 318, you wanna stick a blower or turbo on it...thats still a 318. Just my 2cents, and as everywhere else a 340/360 stoker kit is the same price if not cheaper to get.

No i know, I do need to learn more about it. it makes sense no longer a 318, i was just babbeling.
I do have a 318 and i am upgrading it a little, per your suggestions ( Thanks Rumble and Goodys, you guys have given me great advise in the past, You would think i would have learned somthing by now :tard: )

I was just looking through a mag. last night and found anything for a 318 and thought (or lack of thinking) about putting it all on.

on a serious note though....Has anyone used the surpintine system?
They look great and was wondering if there is a hp gain?
anyone have any expeirence with these

here is a good 318 write-up. Had i do to mine over again id definately give it a shot

http://goodysgotacuda.com/318build.html

As far as the serpentine pulley gain. Any gain you would see from a pulley swap would likely be due to the fact of underdrive pulleys (which I'm not sure if March or them are actually underdrive, but if it states that and that there is a 'gain' to be see. The side effects are..) What they do is slow down your accessories (as in alternator and water pump) Therefore, apparently 'free up' a couple ponies. However, the bad would be that at idle, your water pump spins slower. Which depending on your cooling system, might be a problem. It also slows your alternator down, which stock charging systems can barely keep up at idle as it is, let alone slowing them down, could create another problem.

-Mike

I used the March underdriven serpintine set up on my 360. The Cuda is a '73. No cooling problems. I also should note that I have a MP HI-PO water pump and a (Then) fresh rad that was rebuilt with new cores. (3) Also a Viscous fan from MP.
I could not feel a gain while driving. I simply did it due to crap bent stock pulleys and as well as nice shiny new parts I wanted rather than stock pulleys again.

Actually, I've given some thought to this myself. A standard bore with a 4" stroke would be a 383. Add a set of Magnum heads and you could really blow some minds with a 383 Magnum air cleaner lid. Wouldn't run too shabby either. The only real expensive parts would be the pistons. Decided this wasn't weird enough and am in the middle of a 273 Slant build (now that's expensive) just to see the eyebrows when people see the 273 decal on a Slant 6. :twisted:

i didnt know people bought 318s lol, jk. i got a j-headed, perfromer rpm, ministarter, elect ignition, 3000stall, headers, 318/904 combo for the cost of gas to go get it :D

-
Back