Crazy weird stuff...

-

kittypancake

Reaction score
So...I adjusted the valves and performance is much improved. I don't need a calendar to measure acceleration now!...BUT...it floods out real easy now and idles like crap...AND...the left blinker and gas gauge suddenly started working!...

It should not ever flood. I assume you have a stock 1bbl carburetor which sounds like you may have a float problem. Maybe time for a rebuild. As for the blinker and gas gauge now working; it's totally unrelated.

I've gotten use to the pattern of "fix this - that breaks". So developing new carb trouble as soon as I tightened the last valve cover bolt seems odd, but fits the pattern. Having things spontaneously start working is also odd, but I'm not complaining!

these old bombs we play with are quite amazing, the day you try to sell it nuthing works! the day you decide you should keep it it decides everything works, you have to give her a pat on the dash pretty regularly

these old bombs we play with are quite amazing, the day you try to sell it nuthing works! the day you decide you should keep it it decides everything works, you have to give her a pat on the dash pretty regularly

I KNOW! I previously had a Jeep. I lost count on how many skinned knuckles and glaring headaches it was responsible for. It was a daily driver (@ 11mpg!). I put the "For Sale" sign on it and it would not start - would not start - would not start. I said to myself, "One more try. If it doesn't start I'm giving it away!" Tried again, did not start. I called a Jeep buddy and told him to come and get it. As you probably guessed, it started first try when he got there. That was close to 20 years ago, and he fairly recently passed it on to a friend in NH and it's still going.

Funny you say that Wags,Dart #2 would run a bit then die.Wait a few and it would die again.Got PO'd and Sold it.Wanted the kid that was buying it to realize it really wasn't a piece of chitt,so I checked the one last thing that I neglected to check before.The fuel line from the tank to the gas line to the motor !!! Wellllll summmmmbeachhhhh,it seems that said line had kinked on me !!! Worked like a charm,kid fell in love with it all the more !!Kept my word and sold it !!! Now I'm hoping this one is much improved over the last one !!!:burnout::burnout::burnout:

You Know as we may lose faith in a car or jeep, sometimes they lose faith in us and want to move along with their lives and a new owner, nuthin personal but car's aint stoopid
I KNOW! I previously had a Jeep. I lost count on how many skinned knuckles and glaring headaches it was responsible for. It was a daily driver (@ 11mpg!). I put the "For Sale" sign on it and it would not start - would not start - would not start. I said to myself, "One more try. If it doesn't start I'm giving it away!" Tried again, did not start. I called a Jeep buddy and told him to come and get it. As you probably guessed, it started first try when he got there. That was close to 20 years ago, and he fairly recently passed it on to a friend in NH and it's still going.

I think if that kid fell in love with it that car might smile all the time thinkin of your last effort and seeing a new owner has plenty of love and it's a no hurt feelings deal where you are proud you didn't give up and happy to see she has a new home where she is luvved :) this must sound ridiculous!!! I been playin with a bodies for 31 years in august :burnout:
Funny you say that Wags,Dart #2 would run a bit then die.Wait a few and it would die again.Got PO'd and Sold it.Wanted the kid that was buying it to realize it really wasn't a piece of chitt,so I checked the one last thing that I neglected to check before.The fuel line from the tank to the gas line to the motor !!! Wellllll summmmmbeachhhhh,it seems that said line had kinked on me !!! Worked like a charm,kid fell in love with it all the more !!Kept my word and sold it !!! Now I'm hoping this one is much improved over the last one !!!:burnout::burnout::burnout:

I've been dreaming of these cars for more than 31 years,just happy I'll be able to enjoy the 2 that are now in our stables !!!:prayer:

I've always been bewildered with the way Mopars seem to break. For instance, a few weeks of driving after my transmission swap in the dartness, the speedometer quit working. I adjusted the gear and whatnot, still didn't work. Then I got around to repairing the spring shackle mount on the driver side, and lo and behold, the speedo started working again. Then, it came time for an oil change, and the speedo quit working again. Did the oil change, adjusted the ride height, checked a few more things, and whadaya know? Speedo works again.

Also, Chrysler electronics in particular are notorious for doing horribly weird things. I know the fender indicator for my left blinker works and stops working at random intervals, my gas gauge reads empty when the tank is half full, then works its way down to 1/8" below empty when the tank's ACTUALLY Empty.

Basically, most people I know just fix whatever's required to keep the car running, and just live with the rest of the weirdness.

Great thread - I love these ones.
And Wag's you kill me - but you're right, I have a car that doesn't like me and lately the feelings becoming mutual. Love all the others but not this particular one - think he knows it?\.
Gary

-
Back