Creating an A-833 OD

-
Nothing scarce about an A833OD. Pretty easy to pick one up for $100 to $200. They were in production longer than the nonOD A833.

I put one in my 68 Baracuda back in 99 and have been enjoying the lower hiway RPMs and better gas mileage ever since. :)

Yeah the OD A-833's are easy to find. They came in light trucks all the way up until 87 I think. I have 3 of them, on average I think I paid less than $150 each, I picked one up for $80.

Now, the '75 version might still be a cast iron case, and the A body short tailshaft versions are a little harder to find. But the guts of an A-833OD can be swapped into a earlier cast iron case, and the tailshaft is easy enough to work around if you shorten the driveshaft.

Here's more info on the A833's, both OD and non-OD.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

Sorry no I hadn't read the article. A buddy of mine forwarded it to me. I don't even have an A-833

The cast iron A-body OD was only made for two years, 75 and 76.
I am rebuilding one right now for my 73 duster.
These trans are rare and the one that I have is the only trans that I have seen.
Most OD that more common are out of trucks.

The truck (long tail shaft) work just fine in a-bodies. I have one from a D100 pickup in my 68 Baracuda. Only two unique items; the drive shaft will need to be shortened and a mounting bracket will need to be fabricated that will position the shifter in the A-body position, www.bigblockdart.com has a drawing for the bracket.

They do give you a lot better cruising speeds. I got 17 mpg with 4.10 gears and 6 pac going to the nats last year. Just dont try speed shifting with any kind of power. They wont take it.

-
Back