Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Restore it

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters
-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I got a really crispy stock steering wheel. It was in my cuda when i got it. 45 years of Texas sunburnt, baked, and cracked "patina" LOL. Its way beyond repair.

Trying to figure out what to do with it. I got another wheel to replace it.

Should i put it out of its misery and toss it on the scrap pile?

Put an equally crusty horn ring and center cap back on and hang it up on a nail in the garage?

Should i make a clock out of it?

20161123_140117.jpg

20161123_140127.jpg

20161123_140135.jpg

20161123_140151.jpg

Last edited:
Matt, that will buff right out LOL! Seriously, I've seen some u tube videos of steering wheels in much, much worse shape being repaired. Maybe a wintertime project for the experience?

I redid a 1960 chevy impala wheel for a 60 el camino i owned years ago. Filed the cracks to a wedge shape all the way down to the steel hoop, filled em with JB weld, sanded, primered, painted etc. It only had minor cracks at the spokes, and no repops of that wheel were available.

I feel that this one isnt like that other one. If it was minor like the 60 chevy one, i would have fixed it The steel wire in the rim is rusted so the plastic isnt even attached to it in places, just hanging there. Its beyond a restoration. The pic below is my replacement wheel, with a nice used chrome horn ring and center cap.

I dont have the time to fiddle around with restoring this thing, especially since i just dont have the time on my hands, and feel its just shot

20161123_144048.jpg

Last edited:
Do not..........

Attach it to the front of your pants.

Because if you do........

It will drive you nuts.

That thing is Xtra Crispy (which would make me want to practice some resto techniques on it). I mean ... it can't get much worse. ;)

save it, or one day your going to buy a parts car that does not have a steering wheel and you will regret tossing it....dont ask me how i know.

That thing is Xtra Crispy (which would make me want to practice some resto techniques on it). I mean ... it can't get much worse. ;)

If i had a lot of extra time on my hands, and it wasnt easily replacable with a better one, then i'd attempt it. However i got a fairly decent used one , and new repop ones are available, so replacing it with a better one was a no brainer

Is that the ring you got from me? I'd use the old one for garage art

Did you use a buffer or by hand? That one spot I did took about 10 minutes by hand

By hand with Tarnex and a soft cloth. Took about 20 mins to do the whole thing.

Last edited:
I voted to restore it, simply for the experience of restoring it! Heck, if you do a good enough job, I got a bunch, you can make money off of me restoring mine!!! :)

I voted to restore it, simply for the experience of restoring it! Heck, if you do a good enough job, I got a bunch, you can make money off of me restoring mine!!! :)

All you need, is some sandpaper, JB weld, and some good biting epoxy primer, and your on your way. Its like doing autobody work.

Geof, I'd love to restore em for you, but never seem to get much time these days. What time i do get, i have to concentrate on my project or it will never get done.

Last edited:
I voted to restore it, But only of you have the time in the winter and have not done it before.

Some of mine were crispy like that and I bead blasted mine to remove contaminants and used pc-7. they all came out nice. on my next one I used a member on this sites idea that he posted on making a jig (DUH) I never though about that for sanding the grips and did those by hand (sucked and took forever) I could have saved at least 4 hours sanding. I have done 2 more Mopars, 1 54 Bentley and 2 60's lincolns since this one and did make a jig saving tons of work. Now I understand why they charge big $$$ to do steering wheels. time and labor
DSCF3016.JPG

DSCF3012.JPG

DSCF3011.JPG

I voted to restore it, But only of you have the time in the winter and have not done it before.

Some of mine were crispy like that and I bead blasted mine to remove contaminants and used pc-7. they all came out nice. on my next one I used a member on this sites idea that he posted on making a jig (DUH) I never though about that for sanding the grips and did those by hand (sucked and took forever) I could have saved at least 4 hours sanding. I have done 2 more Mopars, 1 54 Bentley and 2 60's lincolns since this one and did make a jig saving tons of work. Now I understand why they charge big $$$ to do steering wheels. time and labor
View attachment 1714995447

View attachment 1714995444

View attachment 1714995443
Wow that looks great. Unfortunately i do not have the time to do something like that. Kudos to you though.

Wow that looks great. Unfortunately i do not have the time to do something like that. Kudos to you though.

thanks
That's what happens when you get sidelined by the doctor and not able to go to work or stand for a while(10 minutes max if on crutches). you go totally stir crazy and have to find something to do. I looked like a drunken person trying to paint the darn wheel on one crutch. but it dod come out nice. I have a metalflake blue one to do next

Hi Y'all,

I got a really crispy stock steering wheel. It was in my cuda when i got it. 45 years of Texas sunburnt, baked, and cracked "patina" LOL. Its way beyond repair.

Trying to figure out what to do with it. I got another wheel to replace it.

Should i put it out of its misery and toss it on the scrap pile?

Put an equally crusty horn ring and center cap back on and hang it up on a nail in the garage?

Should i make a clock out of it?

View attachment 1714992184

View attachment 1714992185

View attachment 1714992187

View attachment 1714992188
-------------feed it to the gator that likes -- crispy duck !

Well i got this 69 notchback thats the next in line to be redone after my 67. It was missing a column, and steering wheel. I am putting a junk column in and attaching this crispy wheel to it so i can move the car around, so it will still serve a purpose.

-
Back