Critique my 360 combo please.

-

74RR

Reaction score
I'm throwing together a 360 and wondering what you guys think and where I should change things up if needed.
Also any HP estimates would be welcome too.:cheers:
Fresh 360 with stock crank/rods.
KB 107's
MP 292/508 cam
587 heads with 202's with home port work done.
Stock stamped rockers and gear.
RPM Air Gap intake with Holley 750 mech.
MSD Ignition.

904 Trans with manual valve body.
4:30 spooled 8 3/4.
(Do not have convertor yet.) Any recommendations?

This is going into my 74 Scamp.

Thanks guys!

I would call dynamic converters they are awesome guys and can hook you up !!!
I have almost the exact combo same cam pistons ported heads air gap.
If I did not have the cam already I would have went a different route but although old I think it will still work well. I just think there is better cams . I can say they sound awesome for sure !
I would guess 350-375 hp maybe a little more if the heads flow real well ?

Couple of questions-

Are the pistons at zero deck? What's your compression going to look like?

I'm with Jimmer, if you don't have the cam already I'd look elsewhere. I like Lunati, but Comp and others have better grinds out there than the MP grinds.

For Lunati, I'd look at a 60403 (268/276 .492/.513) or a 60404 (276/284 .513/.533). Less duration than the MP cams, but more lift- better area under the curve and more driveability for the street. I guess Lunati is using new part #'s, so the new ones are 10200703 or 10200704.

I'd also reconsider the stock stamped rocker gear. Even the stock adjustable stuff would be better, with any of those cams you're going to need stouter springs, and the stock rocker gear won't be the best option with some of those lifts. Just my .02. :D

You can run stock rockers with that cam I did for years in one of my cars it did fine.

TIP-I would try to get some adjustable if the budget allowed to start, wether solid or hyd.

1. i hate the cam, its not a horrible cam...but really out dated and no torque under the band.
2. 3200 stall from a really good convertor manufacture, one thats efficient.

....otherwise its a decent combo

You can run stock rockers with that cam I did for years in one of my cars it did fine.

Not saying it won't work. But like the cam, there are better choices out there.

For a better idea of horsepower, take a look at these buildups

http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

If the compression is 9:1 or better, I'd guess close to 400 hp with any of those cams. If the heads flow well, maybe more.

Thanks for all the replys!
The pistons are at zero deck. I already have the cam so I'll run it.
Just in case,what would be a good stock adjustable rocker?

For stock adjustable find an old 273 thats your best bet for small block. Or save your coins and get some hughes 1.6 roller rockers. I have heard from several well known builders to stay away from hardland sharp for small blocks they all have said the geometry is off on them.

A lot of great and valuable information given. Thanks for all the replies!

For stock adjustable find an old 273 thats your best bet for small block..

Bear in mind you'll have to get different pushrods, your cam IS a hydraulic cam, right? The 273's would have been mechanical.

Comp pro mags are what have/use on my roller cam eddy head 340. Plus the pro mags are a true 1.5 ratio rocker arm vs the factory 1.33-1.44 rocker arms.

I have heard from several well known builders to stay away from hardland sharp for small blocks they all have said the geometry is off on them.

I have a set of Harland Sharps on my 340. Geometry isn't perfect, I added lash caps to line things up better. It's not perfect, but its workable.

I have the same cam, TC change today, went with a PTC (3500) if this doesn't help then its cam change time for me also, most likely comp 268-484 variable.. I have a post going, I'll comment on the change later.

X2,on the last post!!!!!!! How does ths fit in valvetrain blueprinting?

Lick nuts, really are you trying to say something? Guess this must be after getting all frustrated.

I'm throwing together a 360 and wondering what you guys think and where I should change things up if needed.
Also any HP estimates would be welcome too.:cheers:
Fresh 360 with stock crank/rods.
KB 107's
MP 292/508 cam
587 heads with 202's with home port work done.
Stock stamped rockers and gear.
RPM Air Gap intake with Holley 750 mech.
MSD Ignition.

904 Trans with manual valve body.
4:30 spooled 8 3/4.
(Do not have convertor yet.) Any recommendations?

This is going into my 74 Scamp.

Thanks guys!

My engine is nearly identical to what you specify. I have the Aerohead 340 heads with no work done. The cam is fine for the track, I got 304HP at the rear wheels on dyno, at 5500 rpm peak(at the crank would be araound 380). The cam has a lot of duration though, it pulls 5 inches of manifold vacuum at idle, at 1100. For the street, I would pick one with less duration.
For converter, you'll need atleast 3500 stall to make it work at track.
I went to a ATI 8in, stalls at 4600. I shift at 5500 t0 5800. The engine is very torquey for a smallblock.

Using that camshaft and assuming it's a 108 LSA model, I'd suggest putting it in way ahead, like with a 100-102 ICL provided you have adequate Valve to Piston clearance

-
Back