Crossmember

-

SWETPT

Reaction score
Any quick fixes

DSCF1044.JPG

I'd like to say yes, but no. I tried one of those AutoRust safety caps. Looked like it was cut with an oxy-acetylene torch. By the time I got it cleaned up and installed, it looked like crap and cost more than having a clean crossmember shipped up to me from the US.

Grant

The ones I got had no flange on the top. They perimiter welded along the top where the flange started. The hole/slot allowed the welding of the torsion bar mount to the new piece. That way the twisting action could be spread to an area further away.

Grant

Sorry no quick fix yet. There is a guy here (can't remember who at this time) who sells new parts for Mopars. After conversing with him, he told me a new crossmember was being tooled at this time. Wasn't sure when it would be available but it is in the works.

weld in some 1/16 -1/8 plate around/to it.

go 2'' out around it if possible.
I agree here, Take and make a pattern out of paper or card board. Then cut a piece of steel to fit snug around the torsion bar area. You could do the front and back side to keep the area stronger. I would use 1/16 steel if it was me.

I used 14 ga. metal to do mine. Cut out all of the rusty metal first. I made up a cardboard template, transfered that to the metal, then used a metal hole saw type bit on my drill press to get a good fit around the torsion bar holder. You can weld to the crossmember as well as to the torsion bar holder. Make sure you get all the grease out of the torsion bar holder before welding. :)

I believe I would have to remove that one bolt shown and make my patch atleast 1/2 inch beyond that hole in size. That hole would be drilled through the patch of course. The bolt ears on the center section would need spread apart for the added thickness of the patch be it one side or both.

Jeff at 521restorations sent me an E-Mail that the current ETA on those is 6-8 months. AMD just sent a batch of A body parts off to get tooling setup and that was part of the batch. They currently have these for the B & E-Bodies. These are replacement parts not caps. So according to Jeff they may be available as early as June 2010. Let's hope it happens!

-
Back