Crosswind Intake manifold question again!!

-

murfman

Reaction score
I am gathering parts to build 2 small blocks to put in a boat, I have 2 5.9
magnum motors that I want to use but I need to use the LA timing chain covers to mount the marine water pump and fuel pumps, I know about the cams being different, but I can take care of that. My concern is the fact that the Eddy air gap intake for the magnum does not look like the bypass hose will work with the LA front. That leaves me with the crosswind, but I've heard of issues with them, are they really that bad? I plan on gasket matching them to the heads anyway, but I'm worried about porosity. Real numbers, how many people have had a problem with them? I know they dont work with the serpentine setup but they seem designed perfectly for my application.

you might get lucky and get one that will fit and be fit for purpose ootb.
based on the one I've seen, I would never recommend anyone buys one ever.

I'd be impressed if you get two that are exactly alike. The one I had seaped coolant and had issues with casting, drilling, and machinig operations done by the factory. Basically - it was junk. Some have done well with them. Maybe they got better as this was 5-6 years ago. But - I would avoid them unless it's a must have for you and it sounds like it might be.

Hughes sells magnum heads drilled for an la intake. The heads on those 5.9s are probably cracked anyways. They only run like 800 a set. It will fix the cracked head problem and the intake problem by being able to run a la style intake. Two birds with one stone

The cracks don't hurt anything I have 3 Crosswinds & have used 11 so far doing Magnum swaps
My oldest is 9 years & 80,000 miles or so now without any problems

I used a Magnum Air-Gap intake with an LA timing cover/water pump and the fittings def. don't make it easy but with some trimming and elbow grease you can get an LA bypass hose to fit. Mine doesn't look very good but I clamped it real tight and it hasn't leaked a drop the whole time I've been running the engine (3 years, ~10,000 miles)

For the price difference there are better choices , you're talking a tank of gas difference in price , over the life of the car it's not that big a saving , go for quality . If I go to buy a car and see crosswind and other junk I pass , just have to wonder what other crap is in there .

What other intake fits a Magnum with a RV2 compressor

My Edelbrock needed the heater hose moved to the other side & required long bolts & spacers to attach everything in some way that resembles the factory way

-
Back