Cruise control with manual trans

-

Reaction score
Looks like tomm evening I will have another slant truck delivered to my home, Im buying it prob. only as a parts truck, would need alot of work to make roadworthy, previous owner removed dash and harness.

No big deal for me to put it all back together as I am very familiar with these trucks now but I have to decide if its worth the effort.

Getting it running is another thing. ( although I may set my mind to seeing it run ) I do dashboards/harnesses often with my work so that part is a no brainer for me.

I am buying it mainly cause its an original ( I believe ) unmolested 1983 Super six truck and so all the little details ( nuts,bolts,harware ect ) that would have been originally used are all there I believe.

Also the truck originally had cruise control....I really want cruise control but thought I could not have it with my manual trans.

A quick search on google says its no problem and do-able but I didnt spend much time looking into the details cause its better to ask the guys that specifically know these specific drivetrains.

So can I add the cruise from this auto tranny truck and make it work with my manual and what will it take to put it all together ?

I dont see how it could work cause there is no way to kick it down if lots of extra throttle is needed.

Ill post some pictures of the truck tomm evening if anyone is interested?

Im prob. paying a couple hundred bucks more for it than its worth but considering all the small items that I need for my own Super six conversion on my own truck that I will be getting from this one I cant pass it up. Hopefully it will be like one stop shopping.

i dont know but just be sure to wire the off lead to both the brake and clutch! you'll have to run a diode so when you hit the clutch your brake lights dont come on...

Lots of manual trans vehicles have cruise. You simply manually downshift and reset the cruise. There is a switch on the clutch pedal that knocks the cruise off when the pedal is depressed. Make the downshift, pick the speed up and reset the cruise.

I guess I am not at all understanding how cruise control works than, I believe there is a diaphragm that gets vacuum from intake. Not sure of anything beyond that though.

I will have to do some on-line searching. Thanks

All cruise controls have kick-off mechanisms; for an auto, it is the brakes only and should have a sensor to detect any movement of the gear selector. For a manual, it is brakes OR clutch OR a movement of the shifter out of gear that kicks it off; the last sensor on the shifter is the trickiest for a retrofit installation.

And, yes, there is a vaccum opearted servo which is used to actually work the throttle, and an electronic control module that controls the throttle via this vacuum servo.

Any of the "older stuff" I"ve seen has nothing on the shifter, only the main control switch, the clutch, and brake.

I drove an older Toyota truck from TX to CT w/ cruise control + manual tranny. It did NOT have a clutch kickoff, brake only.

What I am looking for is a run down step by step of how the system operates, from the switch on the column down to the carb and everything in between. Just a quick fairly thorough synopsis if anyone happens to know that info.

Someone mentioned an electric actuator for example and I believe its mounted near the vacuum pod but not sure. Id like to know how all this works so I can have a better idea of what I am working with.

Any of the "older stuff" I"ve seen has nothing on the shifter, only the main control switch, the clutch, and brake.
You'e right Del; that is the newer way to do it. If you have the good sense to not try to move the shifter while the cruise is engaged, you're fine.....some folks don't..... which we all know!

-
Back