Cruise to WOT bog

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
I hate to say it but i need help with this one. i just replaced the 2 barrel intake and carb with an edelbrock SP2P intake and Holley 4160 list 6919 carb. If i was to be cruising at neighborhood speed and either floor it or gradually push the pedal, it bogs down, shakes a bit, then takes off. From a stand still to wide open results in wheel spin. i know the jets say 622 and power valve is 6.5. accelerator pump is correct and new as well as the vacuum secondary. unknown is the spring. new needles and seats, float level is as close to correct as i had time for. there is a little, dark smoke when it bogs or hesitates but want to get new plugs before attempting to confirm rich.

Car is a stock 318 automatic. Timing is 8 to 10 BTDC. total unknown. i know the power valve is blown due to backfire after dealing with this for a week or so. read everyday online and have a few books.

i also know i need to get the kickdown legit with a cable or 4 barrel rod, but would a nut and bolt thru it against the lever work for now?

Black smoke is too much fuel. Try a smaller squirter nozzle on it and see what happens.

If secondary spring is not stiff enough it can cause bogging.

Forgot about that. The nozzle is a 28. Came from a motorcraft by holley 4180. Took out the 31 I think.

I'd run more initial as well. In the 12-14 range. You need to make sure the total number doesn't get out of bounds

Sorry for just now getting back. i turned the distributor counter clockwise if im correct advancing (dont know exactly what initial is at now as it was a quick decision with light upstairs). idle speed increased and adjusted down to about 750 in drive. took it around the block and there is still the hesitation but far less. instead of bog down for a few seconds, its now less then a second. but now the idle is kinda rough and feels like it will stall the longer i leave it to idle. i know there is slack in the accelerator pump arm since changing to hole number 2. tomorrow i will change it back to hole 1 and double check clearance. hope that solves the split second hesitation and mixture screws.

i have one. it was upstairs and i just wanted to try it out real quick so it was just a quick run around the block. tomorrow when i have some day light i will adjust with my light as well as take care of the pump arm and mixture and idle speed.

So I set it at 15 before and I still have hesitation. Mixture screws in does not kill it so that's a new power valve. Looking into ordering spring kit, quick change, maybe can assortment and new Holley rebuild kit. I have 64 jets new in package but left the 62s in as they are stock.

-
Back