Crusty free poly 318 and where it came from.

-
Oh and one more thAng. Those valve covers are RARE. You really need to keep them in as good a shape as you can.

I will take care to restore them, shouldn't be too bad if I use my boss's blasting cabinet to clean them up and hammer out any damage in them. Too bad the sticker left on the one will get destroyed when I do eventually work on them.

I went through a lot of sleds over the last 5 years- lots of Yamaha's, a couple of polaris, and an arctic cat. Pulled the trigger on a couple new cats this year, i'm done tinkering on sleds. As we get older and ride deeper into the forest we need that piece of mind that a newer sled provides. Besides the technology took a massive turn around 2012 for snowmobiles. It's something the wife and I do together so we thought it a good investment. LOL- The new sleds have bucked us off a few times LOL, powerful to say the least !
Anyways, back to the subject - I'd love a set of those valve covers, if they fit my 360 :D they are so cool looking.....

That block will also accept any small block head if cammed for it....
The coolant holes in the block are so different, I would not want to try to put la heads on it, would definitely build it as a poly headed engine if I ever build it. That is what makes it cool!

I went through a lot of sleds over the last 5 years- lots of Yamaha's, a couple of polaris, and an arctic cat. Pulled the trigger on a couple new cats this year, i'm done tinkering on sleds. As we get older and ride deeper into the forest we need that piece of mind that a newer sled provides. Besides the technology took a massive turn around 2012 for snowmobiles. It's something the wife and I do together so we thought it a good investment. LOL- The new sleds have bucked us off a few times LOL, powerful to say the least !
Anyways, back to the subject - I'd love a set of those valve covers, if they fit my 360 :D they are so cool looking.....
I just use my sleds for ditch banging after work so far. I actually bought that Polaris as my first sled ever, so new to snowmobiling. My friends finally pressured me into getting one. Didn't take long for me to buy another! :p. Flat land over here as I am near Iowa.

I will take care to restore them, shouldn't be too bad if I use my boss's blasting cabinet to clean them up and hammer out any damage in them. Too bad the sticker left on the one will get destroyed when I do eventually work on them.

You should take the one with the good sticker to a tee shirt and sign store. They can easily make you replacement stickers. Don't just blast it off. It will be lost forever. You won't find another one.

So I took a closer look at the pushrods I removed from this poly and it is obviouse that it had been backyard "repaired" before. So when you bend a pushrod, don't just go and replace it with a correct one, weld the unbent portion of the hollow factory one to a random smaller diameter solid one. #-o Exhibit A:

Attachments

• IMG_20160322_013522.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20160322_013559.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 208
I just use my sleds for ditch banging after work so far. I actually bought that Polaris as my first sled ever, so new to snowmobiling. My friends finally pressured me into getting one. Didn't take long for me to buy another! :p. Flat land over here as I am near Iowa.
Lol its so addictive - I've got several friends to buy sleds after taking them out on the old ones. You flat landers go to fast. We ride vertical hear. :D

Lol its so addictive - I've got several friends to buy sleds after taking them out on the old ones. You flat landers go to fast. We ride vertical hear. :D

My wife and I put 30 miles on our sleds after work. Just got inside for the night, what a blast of perfect snowmobile weather today! :color: better get back to tearing the rusty old poly apart tomorrow night.

Finally got t cam out. It was stuck tight. Took a large pipe wrench on the end to try to spin it free, it just started to break into chunks. So I welded a attachment for my slide hammer onto the end of the cam. Then whacked it out.

What knockers!
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTw1lzxTAis"]'young frankenstein' what knockers! - YouTube[/ame]

The coolant holes in the block are so different, I would not want to try to put la heads on it, would definitely build it as a poly headed engine if I ever build it. That is what makes it cool!

If the holes are in the same place the shape of them does not matter.
How do the water passage holes on the poly head gasket and a wedge head gasket line up?

If the holes are in the same place the shape of them does not matter.
How do the water passage holes on the poly head gasket and a wedge head gasket line up?
poly cooling ports.jpg

The cooling ports are quite different.

I was gifted a used 3.58" stroke 2.50"(318/340 size) main eagle cast crank from a relative. And a set of 4.070" kb107 pistons with rings that are in nice condition. I am getting ideas in my head...

I was gifted a used 3.58" stroke 2.50"(318/340 size) main eagle cast crank from a relative. And a set of 4.070" kb107 pistons with rings that are in nice condition. I am getting ideas in my head...

I've been trying to get in touch with the "friend" that told me he punched his to 4.04 and put the j heads on it. Will let you know when I do.

As you should be. Do you think that block will clean up? That number 2 looks pretty bad.
I am not sure, a good inspection is what should be done, this block has been sitting off to the side for now. If the free kb 107's are used, it will be 4.070" which should clean it up! (if there is indeed enough meat to go that far)

I am not sure, a good inspection is what should be done, this block has been sitting off to the side for now. If the free kb 107's are used, it will be 4.070" which should clean it up! (if there is indeed enough meat to go that far)

You do realize you will have to cut new valve notches in those, right?

You do realize you will have to cut new valve notches in those, right?
I do, yes, but I was thinking if went that route the poly head cooling ports on the block(the two big ones) could be plugged and it could be built as an LA for now. This is all just ideas as I am working on another engine right now. A guy on here that lives not far from me messaged me that he has another poly that can be parts for me. An actual poly build would be fun for me.

-
Back