Cuda Capers 9-06-08

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Well, today I set myself back at LEAST another week because I had the glazier STANDING IN MY GARAGE when I realized that I had to not only drill out 15 screw holes, but I had to install all the trim clips BEFORE the glass goes in. Glazier said "Call us when your ready..." and left. His supervisor called me immediately and started ranting while I apologized profusely. I even tipped the guy $10 for breakfast. Needless to say, if he comes back, it's gonna cost me.

Well, here's what kicked my *** today:

SANY0009-vi.jpg

Hard to see, but there are NO holes for the clips. I had to measure and drill 15 little holes in my car today....
SANY0010-vi.jpg

At least the top had the holes, which translates into no hot metal chips falling on you while your drilling....

SANY0017-vi.jpg

With clips....

I also decided on a third brake light I'm going to use. It's a billet aluminum LED lamp that's about 6" total from end to end and mounts very neatly against the inner lip of the rear window opening, just inside the window gasket.

SANY0024-vi.jpg

SANY0015-vi.jpg

After this picture I disassembled the light and drilled a 1/8" hole from the other side of the base so I can route the wires out under the window gasket and they'll never be seen.

I also installed the passenger side roof rail trim.
SANY0023-vi.jpg

Then the humidity hit the ceiling and it started to pour. That's when I said F`-it and went home.....
SANY0025-vi.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to give it a shot installing the back window. It's big and solid. I'm not gonna hurt it. Besides, back in the day I used to install window glass in my VW Beetles all the time. This is just a little bigger and heavier. Same principle.

The windshield on the other hand.... :angry7:

John-
I found that installing the front windshield was MUCH easier than the rear window.
My wife & I spent about an hour installing the rear window, but I installed my windshield in about 1/2 hour, ALONE.
You can do it bud!
Car looks AWESOME!!!!!!

George

John, if you have new window rubber, lay your windshield gasket out in the sun (if you have any with all those storms headin' your way LOL) ... it'll soften it up and make it a lot easier to work with.

I had a pro help me with the back glass. Actually, truth be told, I helped him. LOL

Hang in there my friend! It'll get done, and all the work, headaches, new swear words and hassles will be well worth it. :-D

ok so whos got the glass install tips? im waiting for my headliner to come in, once i do that i get to do the glass. some of my holes got filled throughout the paint and body. pissed me off but oh well.

The trim holes can be drilled anywhere as long as they are spaced wide enought for the trim to stay put. I drilled out my holes a 1/4" or so from the exsisting hole (where all the $#@! screw heads snapped off...) and was done with it. It's just drilling into a freshly painted car that made me cringe....

As for the windshield, I've done some research and have decided to do it myself. If anything goes to hell I'll just call a glass shop and have them install a new one. Last I checked there weren't any Supermen in exsistence. If someone else can do it, so can I.

Or at least try.... :-D

yeah, i put the clips on last weekend, i was planning on having the headliner and glass isntalled but after getting some prices ive decided to do it myself with the same idea, if i break the windshield, i learn from it.

You CAN do it! Just take your time and be gentle and steady. The only warning I can give is: Be very very slow on the headliner! My 1st A body headliner took 3 headliners to do it. Expensive lesson.
Later,
Bruce B.

-
Back