Cummins swap/440

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
Thinking of doing a Cummins swap just came across and solid low mile intercooled
Cummins and auto trans just kinda tough to talk myself into tearing in a factory 440 truck with working a/c and cruise.

Attachments

• 664511583575351.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 494
The info part is not the problem it's talking myself into pulling the 440. I kinda like the pig

Thinking of doing a Cummins swap just came across and solid low mile intercooled
Cummins and auto trans just kinda tough to talk myself into tearing in a factory 440 truck with working a/c and cruise.

We did this swap cause our 73 Did Not have A/C and cruise..
so we added that when we married the 92 firewall to the 73 crew cab, due to rust issues
plus we from 9 mpg to 19 +mpg depending on the load..( 1 car or 2 cars, one on trailer)

4-03-06030.jpg

010-2.jpg

009-3.jpg

016.jpg

014-4-1.jpg

out with the 440/518 and 4.10 gear
023-1-1.jpg

in with the CTD, 5-speed, and 3.07 gear
015-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

for now haul with the 92, (CTD, 5-speed, 3.54 gear)
until we finish painting the 73
001-1.jpg

029.jpg

Dragonflies I just spent a good part of my evening going through your build over at ramcharger central. Lol. You did one hell of a job my friend
Ps the 518 will bolt to a 440

I did this conversion on my 86 D350 dually and it's a mixed bag. At this point, with 60K on the conversion over the last 7 years, I'm still neutral. I use my truck to haul around a track car and to pick up building supplies. If I drove my truck a 100K per year and or towed/hauled 10K at a time I'd be way more pro cummins. Gas mileage with 440 was 7mpg almost no matter how I drove it. I typically get 19 with the cummins empty and it drops to 17.5 while towing my car. Oil change and filter on the 440 was about $20 for materials, it's like $50 with the cummins(3.5 gal per change). Fuel pump replacement on the road $30 and available in any town, $1200 for the diesel injection pump before labor and few small towns have anyone with the expertise to do it so add a tow bill on top of that. The truck is noiser with the diesel because I did no additional sound deadening since my interior was already done and I did not want to tear it apart. I like the turbo cummins much more on the highway but dislike it around town as mileage drops to about 13 stoplight to stoplight. The 440 hardly changed in town vs. hwy. My main reason for doing it was I'd worn out the 440 and was faced with the cost of another engine anyway, and like you I bought my cummins used. I'd be less than neutral if I had had to modify my firewall as many do for the hydraulic clutch. If you can find an 87-88 /6 OD truck you can use that bolt on hydraulic clutch bracket and save a ton of time/cost if yours is a manual. Given how I use my truck I don't think I'd do it again, especially if my gas motor was good. And that's really the key (the few miles I drive it), unless of course you just want to and have the time. Just my opinion though.

Attachments

• DSCN0730.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 320
I couldn't do it to that truck.There are several trucks that need a lease on life that could use that swap though.I'd like to find an old Power Wagon and drop the Cummins in it.

Even tho I have gotten a parts truck. I'm still not 100percent ready to do it maybe if it wasn't a factory big block truck , valiant patrol the short driving makes a lot of sense ,the big block makes it a little different to me anyways

-
Back