Cummins V8 in a 1/2 ton.

-
That should be interesting for the masses.

I have a friend who installed a Cummins 6 with twin turbos into his Land Cruiser and of course he built the suspension his way.

V6 3.0L-240hp, 420tq

V8 5.0-300hp,500+tq

If I've got choices on which POS to get, I'm sure as heck going to go with the reputable name that makes more power.

v8 diesel will never live... and they dont, look at ford and chevy's... their is a reason every cat motor is a straight 6.

I heard about this earlier today.. Bloody shame. We have a 2005 Titan my family bought new and Its been alright for now, (only has 80k miles).

v8 diesel will never live... and they dont, look at ford and chevy's... their is a reason every cat motor is a straight 6.

I'm not arguing that one is superior to the other. I agree that an inline motor is the better choice. I'm just saying if I'm stuck with a V6 diesel made by Dodge, or a V8 diesel made by Cummins, I'm going to go with the Cummins all day long.

I'm not arguing that one is superior to the other. I agree that an inline motor is the better choice. I'm just saying if I'm stuck with a V6 diesel made by Dodge, or a V8 diesel made by Cummins, I'm going to go with the Cummins all day long.

why buy either when their are plenty of well loved late 90's thru mid 2000 trucks with cummins?

Looks like ford has some competition. I would very much like to have a 1/2 ton 4x4 with 500 # of torque getting 23 mpg.

My friend was in south america. Says a large number of autos and small - mid size trucks are diesel.

Glad to see that a bunch of mid-westerners will have job opportunities.

I don't know WTF you get your "information."

IHC and Detroit (as in Diesel) made V8 diesels long before "Chevy" or "Ford" did.

And Cat doesn't make V8s? REALLY?

Cummins has been makin diesels for "a few years." (the late '20's??) Jus' sayin

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_HYm0gpVb8"]CAT D397 V8 Diesel test run - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know WTF you get your "information."

IHC and Detroit (as in Diesel) made V8 diesels long before "Chevy" or "Ford" did.

And Cat doesn't make V8s? REALLY?

Cummins has been makin diesels for "a few years." (the late '20's??) Jus' sayin

CAT D397 V8 Diesel test run - YouTube
I think you forgot Deutz too Del. Those engines are unkillable

If Dodge's V6 diesel turns out reliable I think the market will be huge. The tow capacity was just released at 9200 lb. More than enough for the huge majority.

Tranny is a critical part of course. It looks to me like the TorqueFlite 8 may be a good one.

Market demand will dictate the winner. Good to see more competition that's US built.

Really?? My Duramax has a bit under 200 k on it, runs great. No oil use, pulls like a train. Only thing I have done to it in the 100k I have put on it is oil changes.....Guess everybody is entitled to there opinion....even if it is wrong....

I have 12 Power strokes 2 Duramaxes. 5 Cats, 3 8.2 Cummins and 2 MB's 2 L10 Cummins 4 5.9 Cummins Trucks at work. I am the only mechanic here that does all the service. I bought a Cummins and the Ram just happend to come with it.
The old v8 Cats and Cummins weren't all that great and the Detroits went about 300K and you rebuilt them. The new Detroit 60 Series, Cummins and Cat inline 6's go a million miles all day long.

I'm not sure why everyone is crying, you can still get the cummins in a 3/4 ton or larger, just the first time a diesel will be offered in a dodge 1/2 ton, still have the v8s and still have cummins, but also have another diesel

I think it will be a big hit if they work good

Some people just have to...........

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2zwd1iazvU"]twin stick shiftin' - YouTube[/ame]

that thing sounds like a silver series 92shift arrangement looks like 84 plus two or a high low drop box would have been much cooler in front of a Mack quadruplex. 5-speed in Reverse 5 and forward low 5 in forward hi. ah good times
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzMNnvPK8pQ&feature=share&list=UUh4lL6aDK3D3GdfbTruY2cw"]hot rod detroit diesel 453-T - YouTube[/ame]

I can't seem to find what tranny he is running, but that is a pretty badass truck

-
Back