Curious, fuel tank pickup hole size/options

-

DodgyDan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pickup similar to this 1932 Ford Car Fuel Pickup Tube w/ Filter Screen & Return For 16 Gallon Gas Tank | eBay - that will work in a 63' abody tank... anyone know of anything similar or if this one may work? I need a return line for FI but I'd like to not drill a hole in my tank.

If I cant find this, I'll look into putting a hole in my pickup plate as opposed to putting a hole in the tank, I already have return bungs for this but again, dont want to drill my tank.

Any advise/direction in location of the part I should use is greatly appreciated!

Is your sender accurate?

If so CAREFULLY pull it and add a short tube tube

I currently have this - FiTech Gas Tank Return Line Bung Kit, For Fuel Injection - No Welding | eBay - I don't think it requires any sort of welding/brazing.

My brother also suggested I run it into the filler tube but I also would prefer not drilling holes in that either. The sending units are under 100$ for basically any of this design.

I'm looking to make my own sending unit out of one with the correct size locking ring, I am capable enough to bend tubes and floats to achieve what I need or at least close enough for who I roll with so that isn't a stopper, just the size of the locking hole in the tank. Stuffing as many things in one hole as possible! =D

I'd prefer return in sending unit > filler neck > hole in gas tank. Gettin close to firing up. This summer for sure!

Reason being, I may go carb on this sooner than later... but I do want to run FI for a bit, just to be different.

bumping this, anyone have an old gas tank they can measure by chance? Dropping my tank is taking longer than I'd like to have this sorted out in my mind =(

Easy button is to just use a bulkead fitting with a gasket for the return tube.

If you are replacing the gas tank, though, I'd weld a sump (as long as you're welding, starting with a cake pan is about as easy as one of the premade sump kits) to the bottom of the tank and use the sending unit as the return.

Easy button is to just use a bulkead fitting with a gasket for the return tube.

If you are replacing the gas tank, though, I'd weld a sump (as long as you're welding, starting with a cake pan is about as easy as one of the premade sump kits) to the bottom of the tank and use the sending unit as the return.
This is my brothers suggestion also, to make a sump. I'll look into that more!

If you’re handy you can make something similar for much cheaper but for a plug in option that one is pretty straight forward

If you’re handy you can make something similar for much cheaper but for a plug in option that one is pretty straight forward
I can make pretty much anything with an idea that works. =D I don't have all the tools available though. Care to kindly share the idea?

I can make pretty much anything with an idea that works. =D I don't have all the tools available though. Care to kindly share the idea?
You can buy any one of the pumps from aeromotive directly (255l, 340l, etc) and make a pick up tube, connect it to your existing pick up. Not terribly difficult. I built an in tank module for my Silverado with 2 340l pumps in it. Use the hydramat from Holley and they will suck the tank dry. My first go round with the twin turbo magnum I cut a huge hole in the top of my stock 72 dart tank and mounted a 2001 dodge truck pump module in it. That’s another option. I have pictures here somewhere of that.

Here is my A body tank with the 01 truck pump module. I did this around 10 years ago so my memory is foggy but I think the bucket and hoses had to be cut down from 22” to like 9” but it was all pretty straight forward. I drilled 3 holes and welded studs to the tank.
912B70FF-456C-4CA9-8D74-7D383A59E91E.jpeg

D842765E-3EBB-4E78-B56B-A298AFB4ADE2.jpeg

Last edited:
Holley Sniper EFI 19-133 Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System 255 LPH

be sure your existing gas tank is rustfree before invest time and money in a POS. Rust dust pass every fuel filter!
my tank is original, i have had it out a couple times and looked inside of it and it seems okay, I will recheck it this go-around as it's been about 7 years sitting again.

I've read some ways of cleaning out the insides but likely I will just need to find a replacement if it's looking too bad.

Over the years I've tried a number of ways to clean a tank and there were problems with them. It depends on the condition inside the tank. Putting rocks inside and shaking the crap out it works if there is no rust build up. Coating the inside turned out to be a nightmare. A-body tanks a cheap and easy to replace.

Over the years I've tried a number of ways to clean a tank and there were problems with them. It depends on the condition inside the tank. Putting rocks inside and shaking the crap out it works if there is no rust build up. Coating the inside turned out to be a nightmare. A-body tanks a cheap and easy to replace.
first step engine cleaner
2nd citron acid with hot water
3rd evaporust
4th 2K sealer or cut open and zinc coating
but i prefer new if available!

-
Back