Curious if anyone here is running water-methanol injection?

-

earlymopar

Reaction score
My current Poly 318 is a stock block that I used as a "test mule" to get everything operational and set up when I swapped out the slant 6 to the Poly. The TKO 5-speed, my headers and adapter, exhaust system, hydraulic clutch set up, electrical upgrades (including a boost-timing master), custom intake manifold, supercharger belt tensioner, air intake and adaption of a Magnuson supercharger. I'm just now completing the real engine and hope to start it in about a month and at some point before summer, do the swap out of the old engine for the new. With the new engine, I'm making changes to the manifold to allow me to run water methanol mainly as a means to reduce charge temps but also allow the usual timing advantages. My W-M set up is a Snow Performance unit with Safe Injection secondary controller and a Snow VC-50 main controller.

Just curious if anyone here has a W-M set up currently or are going to be adding one.

Used to. Not any more. What are your goals for the new engine? And can we see pics of the magnuson on the poly?

Since you used to use W/M it would be nice to hear on what and how it worked for you.

I'm planning on 450-475 hp out of my new engine. I'm behind where I wanted to be for a variety of reasons but it's about buttoned up now.

CIMG1165 (3).JPG

Wow that’s nice. Very cool. I used a snow kit and while it does work to lower iat, I found the distribution to be terrible and certain cylinders were not happy and I couldn’t rely on it. Probably a direct result of my intake manifold design. Also, while the latent heat of vaporization of water is high the steam/water is not burnable and occupies space that (at a certain power level) needs to be fuel. There simply wasn’t enough space to fill with anything but a fuel that the engine could use. I was up near 830lb/ft at the tire with this engine (turbocharged 8.1 big block). There is no replacement for a good intercooler. If I use it again I will spray straight methanol and skip the water. There is a great episode of engine masters that goes a little further in depth on it. I’ll see if I can find it and link it here.

Yes, I think I saw that episode and read some quotes from it in a article recently. I agree, Intercoolers are great if you have the space.

I’d like to run it on a 671 roots blown small block. So keep us posted.
That’s a very neat engine you have. Who made the manifold and do you have any more pictures of it.

Engine masters season 6 episode 19 can’t link it to a free episode yet.

I modified an old Weiand prototype manifold to adapt the Magnuson. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures in the fabrication stage.

Ran w/m back on my srt4 neon full bolt ons and a bigger turbo, ran good but straight meth was better, when it kicked on felt like secondaries on a card kicking in just fuel injection. Just be careful tuning to it cause if you run out by accident you'll go way lean and melt a piston or two. If you just make it come on with a micro switch at higher rpms just let it spray to boost octane rating.

Mine is set up to spray according to boost pressure and to be progressive (versus all-on or all off like the entry level stuff). I have the latest Snow controller which has some pretty nice safety features but I also found an NOS Safe Inject unit that I'm going to add.

Similar in my case but haven’t done any extensive testing. I have a SNOW kit, two nozzles - a small one at the intake and a larger one inside the turbo outlet. I’m using a solid state relay controlled by Megasquirt which allows me to progressively ramp up the relays duty cycle based on PSI, RPM and throttle position.

I've heard alot of good comments on Megasquirt. Sounds like a nice application.

-
Back