Curious - What is a 1966 Dart 270 worth?

-

1966DARTDUDE

Reaction score
I am just curious as to how much a 1966 Dart 270 is worth. Mine is a daily driver with a rebuilt 273 V8 and a rebuilt 727 Trans. It still needs body work and interior. The reason I am looking into this is to know how much I should put into this car for the restoration. Should I keep it simple or go all out on a full blown restoration. So far I have been going the keep it simple route but am at the point I need to make a decision on which way to go. Any help would be appreciated. See attached picture of the car.

car 001.jpg

Keep it simple. You never get the money out of a restoration and especially on an early abody

agreed. I think the best thing you can do is get it mechanically ship-shape, get it looking decent, then hot rod it and have some fun. You will be way under water on a restoration and will never recoup enough to break even. So might as well have fun with it and not worry about a car thats too nice to drive.
-Tim

My all original 66 Dart 270 (273, auto) sold on Barrett Jackson for around $13,500. The paint and interior ware almost perfect, and it had 87000 original miles.

I sold it for a lot less to the guy who took it to BJ. Too bad he sold it as a one owner car...I was the second owner, and he would have been the third. Heck, I owned it for almost 3 years... 8)

Hope this helps...

Thanks,
OldMopareRule!

Last summer I picked up an original owner '65 Dart GT from an old guy. It was a CA bone dry 100% with over 200k miles but it needed end to end restoration to be cool again. I quickly checked many resources to find that even the nicest finished project A-bodies weren't getting anything over 12 to 15k. I accepted this lack of value and still went ahead with the full attempt to make it new again. Six months later I now have completely re-done the power train to Mopar's finest representation. It came with a tired 273 2bbl. and no options. I pulled the engine and 904 trans and sent them out to bore up to and match the Commando specs. Eng. $2,200. , trans $750. I found a complete front rotor system off of a '65 Barracuda on E-bay, $350., had the calipers rebuilt $250. and searched forever for the Mopar correct booster/tandem master, $150. I bought a '65 270 (4-door) off of E-bay for $350. way up in Idaho just to get the power steering set-up (which I had rebuilt) for $175. It was a ten hour drive up there from CA but I set up an agreement with a local junkyard that if I parted it out in their parking lot they would give me $100. bucks for the carcus with the eng./trans. I stripped every thing from bumpers to dashboard to resell to recoup my cost of the trip and have already sold less than half of those parts for over a thou on Craigslist. I played e-bay hard for two months or so to get the correct chrome air cleaner 90% perfect for $175,(dropped out of several auctions when they passed the $400. point.) And passed over several auctions for commando valve covers that went over $300. a few times till I won a set for $225. that I cleaned up and wrinkle finished.The rotor addition which became available in '65 required I get 14" wheels to clear the calipers. (5 for $100). I left stock only to upgrade the intake/carb. with the latest Edlebrock and added electronic ignition, $800. And the final touch was the daunting search for the perfect A-body 8-3/4 rear end. Got very lucky to find an open gear (non-posi) on Craigslist for $500. and after a month foud an excellent condition sure-grip diff. $600. that I'm having installed as we speak. Of course the new sping package and shocks were $300.
If you add up all these parts-modifications it looks like I've spent over six grand + a few thou on needed professional mechanic assisstance.
No kidding I never knew till this writing where I was into this thing but when adding the car purchase, $2000. it looks like I've got around ten grand into it and the body and interior haven't even been touched yet.
I love it and know I'll have spent close to 20g's when it's ready for show but my purpose is to keep it for the next thirty and enjoy it as one of my dailey drivers. This is a realistic full blown power train 1st class restoration. Anyone could shave thousands off of what I've done but let me tell you, when I open up the faded old hood (I painted the engine compartment and hood int. build color correct), It is just like in the movies when they open a treasure chest and it glows out at you.
Sorry for the long winded story, but you asked! Good Luck, Frank

If your goal is to flip for a profit, I concur with the others.......never happen.

Now if your just to the point of being overwhelmed with the task at hand, walk away for a while. I did, then I got re-motivated and finished mine. I love it. Still needs a new interior but that will come when I sell my Cutlass. Also planning to rod it eventually. Until then I've a real nice driver that looks great (to me anyway).

068.JPG

You are starting with a nice car. I would build it as a nice driver and enjoy it. There are lots of things you can do to make it handle good and with a warmed small block it will perform well. How about a 1st year of Trans Am tribute?

My guess is that you need to drop about 5k to finish it quickly. Or you can teach yourself how the paint and sew and do it for 1k.

-
Back