current alignment specs??

-

SSG_Karg

Enhanced member
Reaction score
Ok. I've done some searching around for alignment specs for my Duster. I've read the specs in the service manual and all the specs posted here by members but one problem I'm having, I run bias ply tires. Mickey Thompson Indy Profile to be exact. Now, all the "new" specs posted here are for radial tires. My question is, what are some good numbers for a street driven smallblock duster with bias tires? Go with factory settings?

If it were me I would go pretty much factory except for some added caster for stability.

You might slack off a touch on the camber as well, compared to a radial tire.

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Think I'll go close to factory with a little more caster and see how it feels. I'm probably the last guy running bias tires but they were pricey and I don't have the heart to take em off. Love the look.

I think you should align it for radials because you are not going to be happy with bias ply tires. Bias ply tires are for 100 point restored trailer queens.

I think you should align it for radials because you are not going to be happy with bias ply tires. Bias ply tires are for 100 point restored trailer queens.

I agree. I drove a 69 GTO with Bias ply's on it. The customer bought the car with a blown trans and had it dropped right at our shop. After putting a new tranny in it, I was disgusted with how it drove on them. The customer was so disgusted that after a couple of weeks he showed up with the GTO again and his wife following behind in his truck with a new set of radials. Drove the nuts after the new tires!

I've been running these tires for about 5 years now and I'm used to the "feel". Sure they are wobbly and ride rough but I am gonna run em till they're bald! I recently rebuilt my entire front suspension, that's why I needed advice on alignment specs for the bias tires. One good thing about the bias tires, they hook a lot better than any radials I ever ran on this car. L60-14 rear, F-70 front.

I don't see how more people didn't DIE on bias plies. The grooves to drain rain off the interstate will snatch the wheel almost outta your hand with bias plies. I hate them.

Your not the only one running bias ply tires...

And.......there is no special alignment for radial tires vs bias....if you have manual steering adding additional positive caster is beneficial for ease of steering.

I don't see how more people didn't DIE on bias plies. The grooves to drain rain off the interstate will snatch the wheel almost outta your hand with bias plies. I hate them.

Boy, that sure is the truth. I run E70-14s and sometimes I crap my pants. Those grooves cause all kinds of hell when running bias plies.

[URL="http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o232/dmoore05/IMG_0157copy_zpse4baa175.jpg"][/URL]

And.......there is no special alignment for radial tires vs bias....if you have manual steering adding additional positive caster is beneficial for ease of steering.

Yes sir, there certainly is. Radials have to have more camber in order for the contact patch to be "in the right place". The contact patch on radial tires stays in contact with the road throughout a wider range in a camber sweep during a turn, so it takes more camber to get the radial contact patch to "where it belongs" if that makes sense.

Dead wrong! Adding more positive caster will actually increase the steering effort when turning & will produce faster steering return to straight after the turn(maybe too fast with manual steering). Adding more positive caster provides more straight ahead stability, but works against you in turning. Radial tires have a different design that allows for more negative camber setting than bias tires can.

Alignment specs for a 68 Barracuda from the 1968 service manual.

Camber:
L...............+1/4 to +3/4 (Preferred +1/2)
R..............0 to +1/2 (preferred +1/4)

Caster:
Manual Steering...... 0 to -1
Power Steering........ +1/4 to +1 1/4

Toe-In:
3/32" to 5/32" (Preferred 1/8")

Dead wrong! Adding more positive caster will actually increase the steering effort when turning & will produce faster steering return to straight after the turn(maybe too fast with manual steering). Adding more positive caster provides more straight ahead stability, but works against you in turning. Radial tires have a different design that allows for more negative camber setting than bias tires can.

Correction, I meant to say negative caster of course............

Gonna do my alignment with the iAlign app on my phone tomorrow......I'll post how it turns out.

-
Back