Current 'best' aftermarket non ac heater core?

-

adam83

Reaction score
I'm restoring my heater box in my 71 duster, and was going to get my original heater core rebuilt, but the wait list at the shop I want to send it to is months out. I'm debating whether to wait or not..

Regardless, id like to hear if anyone has had any experience with the common aftermarket brands currently available. I suspect some of them are identical, just branded differently. These are what I've found:

OER #3879303, copper/brass $95 (classic industries)

Summit Brand #382203, copper/brass $95 (summitracing)

Agility Auto Parts APDI #9010075, aluminum $69 (summitracing)

Body Parts (Goodmark?) #HTR010166, aluminum $92 (summitracing)

Reach Cooling #18-12127, aluminum $60 (summitracing)

Four Seasons #98504, copper/brass $50 (rockauto)

Four Seasons #90504, copper/brass $33 (rockauto)

SPI/Duralast #94504, aluminum $62 (autozone)

Murray #94504, copper/brass $69 (oreillys)

Murray #93504, aluminum $54 (oreillys)

How many of those are actually IN STOCK?

Just pick one and go with it. Like RRR asked- make sure it is in stock.
I’ve used 4seasons with good luck.
Who even Napa buys from and carquest.
If worries pressure check first with like 2psi in a bucket of water. Having a hvac unit “restored” is silly unless you have a 100point show car. Nobody sees it.

Roll the dice....Spectra is a good one we used. 11 years now.
Honestly you would be better to get yours redone.
You quite possibly could get offshore junk or the bugger might not even fit.
**chi warranty also**
Do a search on here you will see read the aggravation people have had.

I think Mancini racing sells one also. I just went with one from the local Napa and it’s been fine.

Thing is, regardless of part number, they all come from the same manufacturer.

Most everything in the car is all original and in such great shape that I am definitely willing to have the original heater core fixed so i have a perfectly fitting good quality piece, but Glen Ray is booked out pretty far. I have local radiator shops.. they charge the same as Glen Ray but I don't know much about them and don't want to gamble.

Roll the dice....Spectra is a good one we used. 11 years now.
Honestly you would be better to get yours redone.
You quite possibly could get offshore junk or the bugger might not even fit.
**chi warranty also**
Do a search on here you will see read the aggravation people have had.
Steve's absolutely correct.

Spectra makes great quality products including their gas tanks. I've used both and they fit ,look and work perfect.

Also had old one redone and its sitting on a shelf just in case.

Glen Ray this and Glen Ray that. Good Lord I hear this guys name and yes hes revered with radiators and having a buttload of hemi rads etc(YEARS ago) Getting him to check/recore a heater core is ridiculous, like having the Lambo dealership doing an oil change on your Lada....
Good luck
Most everything in the car is all original and in such great shape that I am definitely willing to have the original heater core fixed so i have a perfectly fitting good quality piece, but Glen Ray is booked out pretty far. I have local radiator shops.. they charge the same as Glen Ray but I don't know much about them and don't want to gamble.

BTW. Sorry , I know this is off topic but Spectra also makes a great tank sending unit. I have one, with a 1/2 inch outlet.

Very well made, works perfectly with factory gas gauge and lock ring is same as factory with no sealing issues.

Been in my car now for over almost five years. See below.

FG69C

Back to Op's original topic...

I have local radiator shops.. they charge the same as Glen Ray but I don't know much about them and don't want to gamble.
If a local radiator shop is still in business, they've got to be decent. They used to be everywhere, but with the cheap overseas stuff available it's been cheaper to throw away and buy new for quite a while. To still be surviving by fixing radiators, they must have their act together. The few I know of also do general repair though.

My original wasn’t leaking, so I just put it back in. My car only gets driven a few thousand miles a year.

Call Greenwood Radiator in Seattle and talk to Ron. If you go with him, Ill run by and bring it to Tacoma within a week of recieving it on one of my visits to my buddy Pig.

0.02$

It doesn’t matter, I’ve bought 2 heater cores for heater only box in my 72 Duster and neither have the bends correct on the tubes to actually drop in and fit. I worked on one for an hour until it was mutilated and still didn’t fit right. In the end I used the an original heater core that I verified to be good…

Call Greenwood Radiator in Seattle and talk to Ron. If you go with him, Ill run by and bring it to Tacoma within a week of recieving it on one of my visits to my buddy Pig.

0.02$

I will check them out thank you for the recommendation.

0.02$
This is the way to go. Hands down.
Until you see a new heater core next to an original, or fitted into a heater box that actual fits, assume it doesn't.
I haven't seen proof of anything currently being made that fits correctly.
In fact just the opposite.
Here's photos of one for a 67 in a 67

I got the spectra heater core just to see how it fit. The mounting flange didn't line up, and the tubes were too far apart from each other, and the smaller tube had 2 sharp 90 degree bends instead of the more gradual bends in the original. You couldn't even get the tubes through the holes in the heater box.

I took the box and the cores to Greenwood Radiator in Seattle. Ron desoldered, tweaked, bent and resoldered the tubes and the flange, and charged me a pretty low price. Fits well.

Definitely recommened this shop to anyone in pacific northwest.

I came out less than half the cost of rebuilding my original, which I will hold onto

Hi Adam83,

Do
I got the spectra heater core just to see how it fit. The mounting flange didn't line up, and the tubes were too far apart from each other, and the smaller tube had 2 sharp 90 degree bends instead of the more gradual bends in the original. You couldn't even get the tubes through the holes in the heater box.

I took the box and the cores to Greenwood Radiator in Seattle. Ron desoldered, tweaked, bent and resoldered the tubes and the flange, and charged me a pretty low price. Fits well.

Definitely recommened this shop to anyone in pacific northwest.

I came out less than half the cost of rebuilding my original, which I will hold onto
Do you have the Spectra part number for the heater core you used?

Thanks.

SPI 94504, rebranded under SPI/Duralast 94504 from autozone. The picture on their website looks aluminum, but it was copper/brass

Hi Adam 33

Here's two pics of Spectra heater cores for A-Bodies.

The first one is for a 1968 barracuda, the second one is the one you posted, listed for 1974 A-Body without A/C.

Mopar must have changed the part slightly after 1969.

Definitely a difference!

Il go through my bills and see if I can find the Spectra part number that I bought. Mine fit perfectly.

1689346013596.png

1689346054083.png

-
Back