Custom Canvas Top?

-

GaryS

Reaction score
The vinyl top on my '64 Valiant is now five years old, and while it is still in decent shape, it's butt ugly...especially the plastic window.

Since the top is down nearly all the time from March to November, the plastic window has deformed from being folded in the well for so long, and it has the usual discoloring and tiny scratches. My ongoing improvement list includes a canvas top, and I'd like to have a glass window also.

Has anyone considered having a custom top with a glass window installed in their early A?...or maybe seen one? I know the well would have to be redesigned for a glass version to fit, and the window would probably have to be smaller than the plastic one, but it sure would be an improvement.

Anyone who makes the vinyl top can make the same top from alternate material like canvas.
If you'll be happy with a smaller glass and alternate generic glass can be installed, even one with rear defrost grid.

That's pretty cool to know that glass can be installed instead of plastic. I'm getting ready to get mine done now. Do you have a vendor name that will supply the glass? Thanks

They all use the generic glasses in these classic applications. One of 2 or 3 different sizes.
Contact Electron Tops .

A smaller glass wouldn't be an issue for the limited time I drive with the top up, but if anybody has a picture, I'd sure be interested to see how much the well had to be modified to allow the glass to fit in an early A.

-
Back