Custom distributor curving.

-
I had idle issues after installing 2 lights springs. The distributor was trying to advance at idle causing the idle to dance around.

I agree with Joe, Its probably best to use only 1 light spring.

Adam,

Here's what I have so far as of my last set up tonight on springs.

On the stock distributor I had here are the results.

Mr. Gasket light springs only = all mech. advance in at 1000 rpm.

Mr. Gasket light spring and short stock spring = all mech. advance in at 1500 rpm.

Short stock spring and second short stock spring from recore distributor =
all mech advance in by 2200-2500 rpm.

I think this is optimal but now I have to figure out if I have some pinging or it's valve train clatter / exhaust leaking.

I don't know if I will try the set up with the stock long and short springs to see advance
rate with the plates .100" shorter or not. It doesn't take long to do but
I have a lot of other work on this beast to tackle.

I will say this once again, holy cow does this thing launch like a rocket
now! Might be time for new tires soon. :burnout:

Awesome stuff!

Of course, I just bought a pertronix unit. Although I still have the stockers, and at least one car will have the stock set up for now...

Thank you for this thread :cheers: know I can give it a try myself 8)

Great thread; most people afraid to mess in the internals off a dissy. But doing makes the engine run better. Advance until starter moans, then modify for total advance.

I am running bone stock 170/ with this system,390 Holley, The breather came off a 93 4.0 Jeep and worked out very nice

Attachments

• Duals%20all%20HOOKED%20UP%20033.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 401
Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of the MSD digital E-curve dizzy on a big cam engine with no vac advance?

great info, well written, very helpful

I dug this thread up and it is going to help me on a distributor I have here in the house, My distributor I am running will not advance and I seen where Charrley_s said that the one like I bout jumps to full recurve :read2: :happy10: So I am going to do an inspection on a distributor I picked up, It came out of a 75 truck and seems to be advancing good, and I believe it has an adjustable vacuum on it :cheers: I agree that there is some great info here I needed to :happy10:

here is the system I bout about two years ago in the picture and I am changing to a different ecu and coil "blaster 2 and new spark plugs "NGK"that was recommended by our 6/ guru's we have here :cheers:

Attachments

• i12241.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 364
Thanks for this article, it will get me in the right direction.....

-
Back