Custom instrument clusters for a bodies

-

snowmobiler7c

Reaction score
Several years ago i remember stumbling upon a website for rocky mountain dashes. I thought it was a cool idea to change my gauge cluster over to the round gauges. I never purchased the cluster. My car (70 swinger) should be back from paint shortly and i would like to start working on the dash. After doing a little research it looks like rocky mountain dashes went out of business. So is there now anyone else who makes these or something similar? I was planning on running mopar gauges.

Also how hard would it be to install a set of gauges? i installed a trans temp/pyrometer, and boost gauge to my truck a couple years back. But they came with some good instructions. Would it be better or easier to go mechanical or electric??

thanks for any input
Mark

RM Dashes went out of business then back in business and now I guess back out. Someone just sold one of their A-body bezels on here for 400.00 so they do turn up every now and then.
Might look at Dakota Digital. Though they are not showing it on their site I'm pretty sure that they are making A-body clusters. Guy over on FBBO just installed one in his 64 or 65 B which they don't show either.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/category_id=393/mode=cat/cat393.htm
I too am pondering what to do in my Dart.

If you have the wiring schematics for your '70 Swinger, it shouldn't be that bad..or keep an eye pealed, the RM dashes come up for sale here ever so often..

I think they went under because they were expensive..

I made mine..as well as a bunch of members have..

I took the cluster..cut it out and inserted a piece of aluminum with the guages installed..just needed some glue :)

There are not great pics but the first is the cluster, the second is the all installed .. and the 3rd is in the car..

_IGP9655a-XL.jpg

_IGP9656-XL.jpg

View attachment _IGP0144d.jpg

I hope others will show you their creations..

hoped this helped..

As far as the guages I think mechanical is the way to go as they just seem to be more reliable due to not relying on the amount of electricity available to give you a reading.

Just one oppinion.

That's a good idea grassy! I have a spare console and this might be a good indoor winter project. How did you cut the aluminum for the gauges and around the outside?

If you had a 72 and up A body there are a few companys that made a after market panel with the holes already cut in it. I purchased one on here a month or so ago that I will install later. For earlier years I am not sure about. you may have to make one.

Yeah, lee g, I think classic ind or year one sell clusters with autometer gauges or without.

Edit: Found it! http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/a-body-duster/parts/ma1130.html

Wow that's a lot easier on the butt than the 600.00 RM Dashes wanted for theirs. For 160.00 I'll probably be going that route.
They also show the Dakota Digital cluster too. I've installed them in a 57 Chevy and a 78 F250 high boy and are pretty cool if you can dough out 800 buckaronnies for one.

Mine cost under 15 bucks. Cut the shape with a skill saw..the holes were cut with a hole drill on a drill press.

Not to be argumentative but I would avoid mechanical gauges like the plague. If one leaks..especially the oil guage, you are in for a nasty suprise and the job of getting oil out of your carpet.

I went electrical (including my speedo so you don't have to mess with speedo drives if you change rim sizes, etc..), I am well grounded and haven't had any problems.

Aluminum is easy to work with..after the holes were cut, it hit it with sandpaper to give it the brushed look. I counterpointed it with the top of my console which I did the same way.

By bringing all your gauges in view, you don't have to look down to where they usually are stuck..

I don't have a problem with mech. gauges but agree on the oil gauge. I have a braided steel line made for it. Don't use copper and for God's sakes stay away from the plastic line.

If you have the wiring schematics for your '70 Swinger, it shouldn't be that bad..or keep an eye pealed, the RM dashes come up for sale here ever so often..

I think they went under because they were expensive..

I made mine..as well as a bunch of members have..

I took the cluster..cut it out and inserted a piece of aluminum with the guages installed..just needed some glue :)

There are not great pics but the first is the cluster, the second is the all installed .. and the 3rd is in the car..

_IGP9655a-XL.jpg

_IGP9656-XL.jpg

View attachment 1714761176

I hope others will show you their creations..

hoped this helped..

That looks great Ian,,,,,,,,, wounder if i could do something similar to the 67????????? Not sure about the room though. The face of it seems not high enough

Hey !

The original cluster is quite deep..what took a bit of was the location of the two switches...I had to do some trial and error fit..

Also gives you the chance to get rid of the amp meter..

Ian

Grassy,

I am impressed. I might try that myself i have two clusters looks pretty nice. I did find this http://www.egaugesplus.com/70-75-dartswinger.html But if i can do it in aluminum myself for $20bucks that might be the way to go.

My main concern with this idea is, can i do it with my dash still out of the car?? Im wondering if i mark out all my gauges if there will be any clearance issues installing them. Such as hitting anything behind the cluster when installing.

How thick was the aluminum you used?

I am pretty sure it was 1/8th...

The only fiddling I had to do was for the 2 switches...looks like those templates have it right...but I wanted my tach to be on top of the dash.

As you can see, the wiring is spaghetti unless you label everything...if you ball all the wire up and zip tie it behind the cluster, you will have space problems..

_IGP9589a-XL.jpg

I had to raise the two holes for the switches to work..mind you, I wanted 3 one one side with the gas gauge to be by itself on the other....

I used these for the indicator lights..green for blinker, red for no oil pressure and blue for high beam..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LED-Dash-Ind...Parts_Accessories&hash=item51bfebeb57&vxp=mtr

I didn't switch over the gauge lights with led but I shall soon..

ian

Heres one done with CF insert, electronic gauges.
Tried the Redline product, ...flimsy junk imo.

Attachments

• 62bcd30da3a46b131bc90c10267d04b1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 724
Several years ago i remember stumbling upon a website for rocky mountain dashes. After doing a little research it looks like rocky mountain dashes went out of business. So is there now anyone else who makes these or something similar? Mark

Rocky Mountain Dashes is now Peak Dashes

http://peakdashes.com/

I bought one from them.

Attachments

• 10354954_10204960777848583_3154114383600923141_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 740
Wow..at $ 429...plus tax .. a tad expensive for my beer budget......now if that included all autometer gauges...

Ya i like the $15 to $20 budget lol. Im heading to dealership today to see what kinda deal i can get on the autometer mopar gauges. Hopefully i can use my brothers discount from chrysler. I cant beleive how expensive the tach and speedo gauges are.

snowmobiler ...you going for an electronic speedo ? I only went with one autometer..my tach is SUN and the rest are from UAP.

If you buy an aftermarket gas gauge make sure you buy on configured to the mopar sending unit....

Here is my custom dash.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000184.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 679
  • Photo396.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Photo397.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 715
Grassy,
I wanted to go with the look I found another member had posted. These pics are from viperreddusters pics. I stopped at the dealer and they will give me the 25% off. Also bought a 18ga sheet to get started. But after looking at my cluster after work, not sure if I will be able to make the gauges fit like you were able to.

Attachments

• ebay 023.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 655
  • ebay 024.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 654
  • ebay 025.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 628
  • ebay 009.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 619
-
Back