Custom Pilot Bushing Needed?

-

72Duster440

Reaction score
I am in the process of swapping my auto for a 4 speed. The engine is a 1970 440 with a forged crank. The crank had a bushing in it already and the trans bolted right up. I went to replace the bushing with a new one, but the new one doesn't fit. The new bushing is correct at a 0.940 outer diameter, however the hole in my crank appears to be 0.901 ID. The old bushing's wall thickness was quite a bit thinner than the new one, but I can't find a replacement in the 0.901 range.

The crank hole is machined, and steps down to a slightly smaller diameter about an inch in. I would think this was machined correctly, but apparently not. Is there a bushing from another application that is meant to be used, or am I stuck using a pilot bearing, which does appear to fit in the converter register.

20230221_122957.jpg

That is the semi finished size that ended up in some automatic cars, though some were finished. Pioneer used to, and may still sell, the undersize bushing, or you could turn down the regular bushing in a lathe, or set up the crank in a lathe and ream out to finished size. Other's on the site may have a spare Pioneer bushing or at least the part number.

The easy way is to round up a newer pilot which fits in the converter bore. The thinner pilots used to be common, for an "unfinished" "automatic" crankshaft

It looks like the part number for that undersized one is 615-1033. I don't see one online anywhere, I have the bearing that fits in the larger hub register, I guess I'll just use that, wanting to get the trans in today

My dad had the same with a 71' 440 crank. He used the pilot roller/adapter that fits in the torque converter bore from a Dakota and trimmed the snout of the input shaft on the trans.

[/URL]

My trans bolted up without a bearing/bushing, so I don't think I need to trim the input shaft at all. But that's the bearing I went with, just installed it.

I believe the Dakota needle bearing one is part number FC69907

The bushing you need is .915 OD. I am getting some standard .940 bushings turned down fairly soon. I could probably spare a couple. Let me know.

The 615-1033 was a Napa Balkamp number. It has been discontinued for a long time. I looked at one of my boxes this morning, the receipt was from 2000.
It looks like the part number for that undersized one is 615-1033. I don't see one online anywhere, I have the bearing that fits in the larger hub register, I guess I'll just use that, wanting to get the trans in today

The bushing you need is .915 OD. I am getting some standard .940 bushings turned down fairly soon. I could probably spare a couple. Let me know.

I'd be interested in one of those if you have a spare. I have a couple standard ones I could send your way too if they are of use to you.

Dorman used to market those small OD ones, as well. I have no idea the number. I also remember they used to have a huge heavy bushing would have fit the converter bore, but that was in the 70's, and with no internet, I was too dumb to realize what it was. There was never any written destructions that I knew about.

-
Back