Custom screen type radios

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
I know that most probably don't lean this way with classic cars, but my 67 Dart has turned into a rolling test bed of sorts and I was curious what else others out there had done. The whole project started with a 5.7 Hemi swap with a carb innocently enough, but 3 years later I now have full aftermarket fuel injection (Megasquirt) with a custom in-tank pump, a T56 6 speed trans, Viper front seats, 5 channel amp with 8" sub (leftover parts from a car I bought), completely rewired engine bay and bulkhead connector, and a modern speedometer installed behind the stock gauge face with a microcontroller converter that scales the T56 speed sensor output to work with the speedo control board that came from the donor car.

After all this, I'm debating an update to the radio to work with my aftermarket fuel injection setup. There are some phone apps that work as a digital dashboard of sorts, but that relies on having my phone out all the time and there is limited tuning capability available currently on a mobile platform. I'm looking into building a car computer that could interface with the fuel injection system directly and be used as a digital dashboard for additional information when needed.

That being said, has anyone put a screen type radio in their A body? I'm curious to see what others have done for installs for some ideas. I had thought about cutting up the dash (mine was already cut previously by a former owner for a modern radio, poorly I might add) and mounting one like a radio, but it would likely mean cutting out my ash tray and cigarette lighter which I don't prefer. A flip out screen would be nice, but there don't appear to be many out there anymore and I've heard various complaints with their durability. Lastly, I've looking into mounting one on a bracket off of the dash slightly, so it would mean little modification to the structure, but not the cleanest look. However, this option would potentially let me use a tiltable style bracket so I could reposition the screen as needed for visibility.

-
Back