cutting oil filter open

-

70wayfarer

Reaction score
ok , i was told i should cut the oil filter and inspect contents. engine is a fresh build 410 sb with hughes hyd. roller cam and lifters. rings are the perfect circle version of the hellfire rings. this is a turbo build.
what should i be looking for, seeing or not wanting to see when i cut it open. engine has done 6 heat cycles only, bringing revs up to 2500-3000 at operating temp.
cheers

Your looking for bearing material and metal fragments,there will be some on a fresh build.You can take a sample and have it analyzed, look for trucking companies and see who they use.Tbey can even tell what oil you used....

It might be interesting and worthwhile to share different methods of cutting the filter open. Needless to say, a hacksaw isn't the best idea because it can contaminate the filter material with shavings. The only option I had was to "chop" the filter all around with a multi-purpose painter's tool & hammer. (Like a stiff, sharp, putty knife.) There are tools available for it, but it depends what one has on hand.

I haven't figured out the best way to cut & spread the filter material yet.

a oil filter like the system 1 for 125.00,you can see whats in it every oil change,i wont go back to a regular filter now

Look for excess metal bits, especially flakes (like from a bearing or its matching surface). There will be bits of crud and maybe some bits of gasket sealer in there and small metal bits on the 1st filter; no engine assembly is perfectly clean. If there is not too much, then the 2nd filter change is likely a better read as most of the crud from assembly should be out in the 1st filter.

IIRC, most or all of the 'stuff' to look for should be on the outer surface of the filter media as that is on the inlet side. If there is really fine wear, I doubt that it will be readily visible. I would not know how to look for ring material from break-in, for example.

Normally a large tubing-cutter-like device is used, but I just use a stiff, large bladed work knife (I call it a pig-sticker), and pierce near the top and cut around.

ok , i was told i should cut the oil filter and inspect contents. engine is a fresh build 410 sb with hughes hyd. roller cam and lifters. rings are the perfect circle version of the hellfire rings. this is a turbo build.
what should i be looking for, seeing or not wanting to see when i cut it open. engine has done 6 heat cycles only, bringing revs up to 2500-3000 at operating temp.
cheers
A chain-type exhaust tubing cutter works well for cutting the oil filter open.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M93OUM/?tag=joeychgo-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004SBCB/?tag=joeychgo-20

If you wish to have the oil analyzed it can be sent to Blackstone Labs for analysis.

Blackstone Labs

You may want to check out a big box parts store (Repco ?) for an engine oil analysis kit. WIX makes several in the $15-20 USD range. It involves taking an oil sample and sending it off, hopefully some place close by.

thanks for the replies. will cut filter on the weekend and let you all know what i find. cheers

Any follow up to this? Just ordered a kit from Blackstone. My break in (not initial) with about 100 miles has a non-magnetic sheen in it, looks like super-fine gold glitter.

How did yours look?

mine was like grey metallic paint. and thje rings were the culprit. gold sounds like the dissy drive if you have the bronze one

mine was like grey metallic paint. and thje rings were the culprit. gold sounds like the dissy drive if you have the bronze one

Thanks. I do have the bronze gear and believe this is the culprit. MY comp test today was 150 across all cylinders so I think the rings are good.

-
Back