cutting out going up hill?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
long story short. :bought it long distance, got my 76 duster home, bought from a guy that bought it off trans shop after first guy didn't pay the bill. i can see it has all new vacuum hoses, tank has had 2 holes cut in it to drain it ( guess they never thought of taking of the tank and maybe puttin in new pickup tube?) can see new fuel pump, ecu, cap and rotors. goin up pretty good hill it starting cuttin out, i tromped on the gas and it went on, comin up the hill to the house fairly slow it died, didn't start till i gave it a dose of gas out of the trustly pop bottle. surely the acceraltor pump is bad, can a vacuum leak cause this? (tank is full, new fuel filter) after warmed, idle is sometimes little rough , then sometimes real smooth.
i guess a carter bbd won't be suitable because of acc cable? sounds like rebuiding the holley 2300 is iffy at best, parts store carbs bad idea.
most mopars i've had were v 8,, i learned to just order a new edelbrock! LOL. hey edelbrock, maybe make a one barrel!!???
thanks for any help.

Could be a lot of things, 'specially if you don't know what was done or the history.

Connector hoses. There is one from the fuel sender to the main tube at the tank, another from the feed tube to the pump inlet. Replace them both.

Refer to the shop manual and test the pump Get yourself a vacuum/ pressure gauge, not expensive.

If the pickup does not appear to have been replaced, I'd suspect the screen in the tank.

It sounds to me like the fuel pump is dying or the fuel filter is really clogged. Replace them as they are easy fixes. Gravity keeps the fuel back in the tank.

Yep, I'll put my money on a clogged up filter in the line between the tank and carb.

thanks for the ideas, but it has a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, i,m sure the sock at the pickup tube is long ago history. i'l try to do some vacuum testing, replace the hoses at the tank and pump, .... i. ve seen some people on here refer to slant six dan or someone as a good source for rebuilt carbs.
back when i did alot of work, i'd have a fresh 340 or 440, buy a new edelbrock, but have the old dist. i found htre carb or the dist was always a problem. i would always replace the tank pickup and get a repro fuel line, and all would be good. but i had more $$ to spend back then!!! and parts wern't as high! i will continue on. thanks.

"New pump" does not mean functionally correct, especially these days. A vacuum pressure gauge will tell you a lot. Once you "know" you have fuel pressure under load, you can then switch attention to the carb.

Heck for all you know, the pickup tube in the tank might be rusted clear OFF!!! It might be picking up fuel from the "top" of the tank!!!

YEARS ago, my cousin had a big 'ol Poncho. He's not a mechanic. Spent about half what the car was worth trying to find out why it would quit "every so often." Turned out the pickup tube screen assembly was loose, and would suck the flat tin bottom of the screen cage right up against the bottom of the pickup tube!!!

You might try putting a piece of clear line between the tank and the pump to see if it's sucking air from somewhere.
This found a cracked pickup tube for me once.

i did find several things that has helped a bunch, choke thermostat rod to acrb hitting air cleaner, adjusted carb some, no t saying other problems like you guys say, jsut havn't had time to check them all out, thanks for the input, i do apprecuiate it.

-
Back