Cutting out

-

Yote

Reaction score
Took Demon out tonight for a short cruise. It seems to be cutting out or missing at wot about 4K rpm before shift. 1972 340 4 speed, Carter thermoquad, factory ignition. About 700 mi on engine rebuild, 500 mi on carb rebuild. Any suggestions ?
Yote

Factory electronic ignition? Orange box?

Factory electronic ignition? Orange box?

This. And timing. Also have you checked fuel flow? You might be experience fuel starvation at higher RPM. Is this a new problem? Or first time taking the engine that high?

Sorry , not exactly factory . Near new replacement box , new coil from NAPA. Seemed to have some missing earlier, does appear to be getting worse. New replacement fuel pump and filter also NAPA. NEW 5/16 fuel line, new tank.
Yote

I'd still suspect ignition parts. New coil doesn't necessarily mean good, and is it wired correctly? You can hook them up backward which will still fire but low voltage, which usually becomes an issue at higher RPM. What's the brand of the ignition box? Orange boxes are notorious for higher rpm misses. I realize only the low level MP boxes are actually orange, but the standard replacement boxes of any brand can have the same issue. When I use stock electronic ignition I use the Mopar chrome boxes. Even in other brands the premium boxes are usually chrome, while the lower level ones are painted.

And what Lustle said. Check the timing and the timing advance, could be the initial is off or it's not advancing. Could also be that if you're running a stock distributor and have advanced the initial past 12* or so that you've getting too much advance at higher rpms and you need to limit the advance.

And rule out fuel flow, although I trust new fuel system parts a lot more than I trust new ignition parts. New fuel system stuff tends to be good, new ignition parts are probably only a little better than 50/50 in my experience.

Does it cut out or miss above 4k? Or is it just right around a certain spot it does it then it clears up? If it's something like that it could be too much advance coming in too fast. So it only screws up in a small spot, then its fine at the higher RPMs.

I always double check fuel flow cause it can run great at low RPM then as soon as you push it, something like a clogged filter or screwed up pump will starve it very quickly. Where as usually with an electrical problem it will still have some sort of occasional miss at lower rpm. Although that isn't always true.

Had you taken it above 4k rpm before? Did it do it ok? If you have what have you replaced/changed since then?

When it starts cutting out, just back off the loud pedal a whisker and see if it straitens up and lunges forward. If it does, most likely starvation.

Thank you guys. Your suggestions give me a place to start with a couple things I would not have thought of. I will admit that I haven't been pleased with my attempts to tune this car. I am more of a nuts and bolt person with not adequate knowledge or memory of what I need to know.
Yote

I hear ya pal. If I cured cancer, the next day I'd forget how I did it!

Bad coil, bad coil WIRE, even plugs or plug wires. CHECK YOUR SUPPLY voltage to the ignition box, IE the "key switch" side of the ballast

-
Back